Telephoto 4 Nikon?

Discussion in 'Photography Beginners' Forum' started by AlexColeman, Jan 9, 2009.

1. AlexColeman

AlexColeman TPF Noob!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos OK to edit
    What will be my best option for a nikon telephoto under $400? I have a D90, and am looking at the 70-300. Any help is appreciated.

2. AlexColeman

AlexColeman TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    Bump

3. tirediron

tirediron Watch the Birdy! Staff Member Supporting Member

Photos OK to edit
    You need to provide a little more information; what sort of shooting will you be doing, do you want a telephoto zoom or prime, is maximum aperture important, full-frame or APS-C sensor?

Assuming you're just after a general purpose zoom-telephoto, consider the 55-200 f4-5.6 VR, for $220, or, if you can stretch the budget a little, then look to the 70-300 f4-5.6 at $420.

4. tkaat

tkaat TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    Are you looking for clarity large aperture,long lasting great-ness or a permanent lens (one you could leave on you slr and just shoot every distance)?
    I would recommend the Tamron 28-300mm f3.5-6.3 non-VC lens. The reason I do so is because it has nothing but great reviews and is said to even be better than it predecessor the 28-300 w/ VC (vibration control). Granted that this lens does not have a wide aperture and there may be times you will have to use a tripod to stabilize it at times it is said to be a very good alternative to having to change lenses to get a decent wide angle shot after getting a tele shot or vice versa. The price on bhphotovideo is $350
    Sigma has a similar lens but they do not reach 300, only 200. The Sigma can get you a standard wide shot to a decent tele (18mm-200mm f3.5-6.3) and the tamron cost $287.
    If you just want what you asked for, a 70-300 lens, you might as well go with the 70-300 lens from Nikon it is a sub-$150 lens and with the money you save buy a good tripod or monopod (this is a staple on taking tele shots). I would say go for the non-VR one for it is better zooming but get the VR (vibration Reduction) version if you have plans to use it in very low light situations.

5. uplander

uplander TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    If Nikon has a version of Canon's EF 70-300 IS USM I would think that way. The lens is pretty damn sharp but a little slow. The price range your looking at really narrows it down alot!

6. AlexColeman

AlexColeman TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    I am looking for a telephoto zoom, I already have a 16-85, so I am specifically looking for a telephoto for my D90. Thank you.

7. DavidElliot

DavidElliot TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    helpful. :er:

it'd be more helpful if you gave a general idea of what you were interested in shooting. or are you getting a telephoto for the sake of getting a telephoto? what's your budget? tirediron's suggestions of the 55-200 VR or 70-300 that you were originally planning on getting are good options. if you have the money, maybe you should consider the 70-200 f/2.8, you'd be very satisfied with that buy but your wallet might be hurting

8. AlexColeman

AlexColeman TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    Yeah, nature photos. I just need the range, like I said, under 450. What will be my differences between 70 and the 55, besides range. I would appreciate it.

9. djacobox372

djacobox372 No longer a newbie, moving up!

Photos NOT OK to edit
  10. AlexColeman

AlexColeman TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    Has anyone had any experience with it?
    What sort of results do you get?

11. AlexColeman

AlexColeman TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    Bump.

12. AlexColeman

AlexColeman TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    That tamron is interesting, besides ebay, could I get it anywhere else?