Telephoto for My D40?

Discussion in 'Photography Beginners' Forum' started by .:On The Rock:., Sep 10, 2008.

1. .:On The Rock:.

.:On The Rock:. TPF Noob!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos OK to edit
    Hi there,
    I'm relatively new to the photography world. I got my first SLR a couple of months back and since then I've bought the nikkor 50mm f/1.8. Now, along with the lagging kit lens, I want to expand my collection with a much needed telephoto. Trouble is, I don't know what I want, or what I need for that matter. I have under nine hundred bones to throw at it.

Now I know what macro means and what it achieves, but I don't know what it means to me, in a sense that I don't know what I need. I'm thinking I need a telephoto for nature, icebergs, a few concerts, an maybe the odd mtb race. So maybe I do need a macro for this.

I pulled these off another thread which losts all compatible lenses for D40's.

AF-S VR 70-300mm f/4.5-5.6G ~ $500

AF-S 80-200mm f/2.8D ED-IF < can't find a price??? (I'm gussing this is a pricy one)

50-500mm f/4.0-6.3 EX DG ~ $1000

50-150mm f/2.8 EX DC HSM ~ $650

70-200mm f/2.8 EX DG Macro ~ $900

80-200mm f/2.8 EX DG Macro < can't find a price???

80-400mm f/4-5.6 EX OS ~ $1100

Also, the tamron sp af 70-200mm F/2.8 Di macro wouldn't by chance be left out of this list? It seems like a good lens for the price, but I doubt it would be compatible with my camera.

2. chrisburke

chrisburke TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    the 80-200 is about 1000 bucks...

to answer your question, we should probably know your price range... i notice that you did post the high priced lens... so does that mean that price isnt an issue?

3. .:On The Rock:.

Photos OK to edit
    I said around $900, sorry if I wasn't clear. You'll have to really convince me to spend any more for the $1000 or $1100 one. I seem to be having trouble even finding out if the AF-S 80-200mm f/2.8D ED-IF even exists. I can only find the AF version, which is no good to me.

4. claytonchatham

claytonchatham TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    If you're just starting out and not into serious photography you could save money by buying some sigma lenses, good quality and a little cheaper.

5. epp_b

epp_b No longer a newbie, moving up!

Photos OK to edit
    Since you mentioned concert photography, I suggest you forget those variable aperture zooms. Anything slower than f/2.8 will be useless in concert lighting.

If Tamron says they make it with a Nikon mount, it will mount on your camera and probably meter. However, it will only autofocus on your camera if it has a built-in focus motor.

6. D40

D40 TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    I used the Sigma 70-200 f/2.8 HSM Macro on my D40 for a long time, worked great and loved it! I plan on always haveing a 70-200 f/2.8 hopefully one day I can upgrade to the Nikon:) The range is perfect!

7. dhilberg

dhilberg TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    Unfortunately the AF-S 80-200mm f/2.8D is no longer made. It was replaced by the 70-200mm f/2.8 VR (about $1600 USD).

You might be able to find the 80-200mm AF-S used.

8. .:On The Rock:.

Photos OK to edit
    Yeah, I was thinking that. it mustn't of been production for very long, cause I looked on ebay and no results.

Thanks for all the help!

9. .:On The Rock:.

Photos OK to edit
    Yeah! After considering that lens for a while, I think I might get this one! I think I can get it as low as $800 according to google, (the site has an excellent rating).

10. dhilberg

dhilberg TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    That's not surprising you didn't find it on ebay. If I had that lens I sure wouldn't part with it!

11. TamiyaGuy

TamiyaGuy No longer a newbie, moving up!

Photos OK to edit
    I would also recommend Sigma's 70-200 f/2.8. If its lower-end cousin, the 55-200 f/4-5.6 (I know, it's VERY low-end) is anything to go by, it's well worth getting. In my opinion, the price you save is worth the tiny bit of image quality lost & the fact that there is no Vibration Reduction. Also, Macro in Sigma's lenses does NOT mean a 1:1 reproduction ratio (apart from in their "official" macro prime lenses), I think the 70-200 has a repro ratio of 1:2 or even 1:3. Still, it's a great buy.

Have fun!

12. D40

D40 TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    The build on Sigmas EX glass is excellent, may not be metal but it is a vary sturdy lens for sure! Store wise...Pay the extra and get it from B&H Photo!!!!!! I can't stress that enough, if you want the best service than there is no substitute!!!!