Telephoto for My D40?

.:On The Rock:.

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hi there,
I'm relatively new to the photography world. I got my first SLR a couple of months back and since then I've bought the nikkor 50mm f/1.8. Now, along with the lagging kit lens, I want to expand my collection with a much needed telephoto. Trouble is, I don't know what I want, or what I need for that matter. I have under nine hundred bones to throw at it.

Now I know what macro means and what it achieves, but I don't know what it means to me, in a sense that I don't know what I need. I'm thinking I need a telephoto for nature, icebergs, a few concerts, an maybe the odd mtb race. So maybe I do need a macro for this.

I pulled these off another thread which losts all compatible lenses for D40's.

AF-S VR 70-300mm f/4.5-5.6G ~ $500

AF-S 80-200mm f/2.8D ED-IF < can't find a price??? (I'm gussing this is a pricy one)

50-500mm f/4.0-6.3 EX DG ~ $1000

50-150mm f/2.8 EX DC HSM ~ $650

70-200mm f/2.8 EX DG Macro ~ $900

80-200mm f/2.8 EX DG Macro < can't find a price???

80-400mm f/4-5.6 EX OS ~ $1100

Also, the tamron sp af 70-200mm F/2.8 Di macro wouldn't by chance be left out of this list? It seems like a good lens for the price, but I doubt it would be compatible with my camera.

the 80-200 is about 1000 bucks...

to answer your question, we should probably know your price range... i notice that you did post the high priced lens... so does that mean that price isnt an issue?

I said around $900, sorry if I wasn't clear. You'll have to really convince me to spend any more for the $1000 or $1100 one. I seem to be having trouble even finding out if the AF-S 80-200mm f/2.8D ED-IF even exists. I can only find the AF version, which is no good to me.

If you're just starting out and not into serious photography you could save money by buying some sigma lenses, good quality and a little cheaper.

Since you mentioned concert photography, I suggest you forget those variable aperture zooms. Anything slower than f/2.8 will be useless in concert lighting.

Also, the tamron sp af 70-200mm F/2.8 Di macro wouldn't by chance be left out of this list? It seems like a good lens for the price, but I doubt it would be compatible with my camera.
If Tamron says they make it with a Nikon mount, it will mount on your camera and probably meter. However, it will only autofocus on your camera if it has a built-in focus motor.

I used the Sigma 70-200 f/2.8 HSM Macro on my D40 for a long time, worked great and loved it! I plan on always haveing a 70-200 f/2.8 hopefully one day I can upgrade to the Nikon:) The range is perfect!

I said around $900, sorry if I wasn't clear. You'll have to really convince me to spend any more for the $1000 or $1100 one. I seem to be having trouble even finding out if the AF-S 80-200mm f/2.8D ED-IF even exists. I can only find the AF version, which is no good to me.

Unfortunately the AF-S 80-200mm f/2.8D is no longer made. It was replaced by the 70-200mm f/2.8 VR (about $1600 USD).

You might be able to find the 80-200mm AF-S used.

Unfortunately the AF-S 80-200mm f/2.8D is no longer made. It was replaced by the 70-200mm f/2.8 VR (about $1600 USD).

You might be able to find the 80-200mm AF-S used.
Yeah, I was thinking that. it mustn't of been production for very long, cause I looked on ebay and no results.

Thanks for all the help!

I used the Sigma 70-200 f/2.8 HSM Macro on my D40 for a long time, worked great and loved it! I plan on always haveing a 70-200 f/2.8 hopefully one day I can upgrade to the Nikon:) The range is perfect!
Yeah! After considering that lens for a while, I think I might get this one! I think I can get it as low as $800 according to google, (the site has an excellent rating).

Yeah, I was thinking that. it mustn't of been production for very long, cause I looked on ebay and no results.

Thanks for all the help!

That's not surprising you didn't find it on ebay. If I had that lens I sure wouldn't part with it!

I would also recommend Sigma's 70-200 f/2.8. If its lower-end cousin, the 55-200 f/4-5.6 (I know, it's VERY low-end) is anything to go by, it's well worth getting. In my opinion, the price you save is worth the tiny bit of image quality lost & the fact that there is no Vibration Reduction. Also, Macro in Sigma's lenses does NOT mean a 1:1 reproduction ratio (apart from in their "official" macro prime lenses), I think the 70-200 has a repro ratio of 1:2 or even 1:3. Still, it's a great buy.

Have fun!

The build on Sigmas EX glass is excellent, may not be metal but it is a vary sturdy lens for sure! Store wise...Pay the extra and get it from B&H Photo!!!!!! I can't stress that enough, if you want the best service than there is no substitute!!!!

I went into my photo store yesterday and the sigme 70-200mm f/2.8 lens was sitting there for $1000. I had mentioned that I wanted a telephoto for my D40, and then she states that it wont autofocus with my D40... Then I was either thinking that she's an idiot, or those internet bastards! Seriously though, I was going under the impression that it will autofocus?

I went into my photo store yesterday and the sigme 70-200mm f/2.8 lens was sitting there for $1000. I had mentioned that I wanted a telephoto for my D40, and then she states that it wont autofocus with my D40... Then I was either thinking that she's an idiot, or those internet bastards! Seriously though, I was going under the impression that it will autofocus?

What photo store? I called my local Ritz once wanting to know if they had a D200 and D300 in store for me to come in and hand hold. The lady seemed not to have much of an idea of what I was talking about...

If it's HSM, it SHOULD auto focus on the D40. My Sigma 10-20mm auto focused on my D60.

What photo store? I called my local Ritz once wanting to know if they had a D200 and D300 in store for me to come in and hand hold. The lady seemed not to have much of an idea of what I was talking about...

If it's HSM, it SHOULD auto focus on the D40. My Sigma 10-20mm auto focused on my D60.
It is just a local store. Yeah, maybe she was clueless. I thought about it after and I should of asked to try it on a D40 anyways, "just to see how the manual focus fee - oh is does autofocus, look at that?!"

Most reactions

Back