Telephoto for My D40?

It is just a local store. Yeah, maybe she was clueless. I thought about it after and I should of asked to try it on a D40 anyways, "just to see how the manual focus fee - oh is does autofocus, look at that?!"

Well, if you're still unsure if it will indeed autofocus, do a search for that particular lens and the D40 via google.
That should give you the knowledge you need.:D

From Dpreview

http://www.dpreview.com/lensreviews/sigma_70-200_2p8_n15/page3.asp

Under heading "On the Camera", it said "........Like all 70-200mm F2.8s, it's not an ideal match to the current crop of miniaturized entry-level dSLRs such as the Nikon D60 (above right), although still quite useable. With its built-in AF motor, it's also fully compatible with Nikon's D40-D40x-D60 series of budget SLRs."

So, according to dpreview, it should works

I have the Sigma 50-150 HSM f2.8 (which does autofocus on my D40), I would definitely recommend this lens if the range suites your needs, but buy it from a reputable place!

Any Sigma HSM lens will autofocus on the D40/D40x/D60.

How about a Sigma 55-200 HSM for just $200. It'll do almost everything you'll need (except for VR) at a fraction of the cost.

Since you mentioned concert photography, I suggest you forget those variable aperture zooms. Anything slower than f/2.8 will be useless in concert lighting.

Hopefully the OP doesn't take this to heart.

Its concert shooting, dark is still dark. It's like saying the guy in Hell with the glass of ice-cubes is cooler than the guy without. You're still in hell. In concert shooting you can DEFINITELY get away with cranking up the ISO, and settling for a 4-5.6 lens, shooting at ISO400-800. It all depends on where you are in relation to the light, and how glad a hand you are in the post-processing. It seems as A LOT of people on these forum like to fall into the "I need more AP!" crutch when trying to correct for what they perceive as photography "problems".

But then again, concerts were ranked behind nature and icebergs - so this point may well be moot.

Hmmmm..... another possible option is to upgrade to a d200, and open your options up for older non-afs f2.8 telephotos that cost less.

Price wise:

D40 + afs f2.8 telephoto = d200 + af f2.8 telephoto

I have a Tamron 70-210 f/2.8 af zoom that I bought used in EXCELLENT condition for $350--it's build quality is much better then the newer tamrons and sigmas, and it's a heck of a lot cheaper.

Most reactions

Back