Telephoto for Nikon D50

AirVenture

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
www.flickr.com
Hello all,

It looks like I'll be purchasing a Nikon D50 with the kit lens (18-55mm). I'm looking for suggestions for a zoom telephoto lens, somewhere in the range of 70-300mm. In particular I'd like a faster lens because I shoot a lot of aircraft usually at a long distance. Quick focus and sharpness are a big help. I would love one of those image stabilized lens, but to my understanding they aren't compatible with the D50, not that I could afford them anyway! My price range tops out at about $400. Any suggestions? Are there any good websites with reviews?

Thanks a bunch,
-Brett

I have used the Nikon 70-300 ED with great sucess on aircraft with my DSLR. In normal daylight a real fast lens is not really a big requirement. And the ED version is much sharper than the G IMHO.

For that price I'd recommend the Sigma 70-300mm super macro APO II

You'll get results as good as the Nikon 70-300 ED for less money, and the added bonus of a macro mode :)

I use this lens to shoot aircraft when I don't need the reach....or can't be bothered with the weight, of my 50-500mm

Check out this thread for some good examples taken with this lens...not my pics I hasten to add, most of mine are with the Bigma:

http://www.simhq.com/simhq3/sims/boards/bbs/ultimatebb.php?ubb=get_topic;f=122;t=000708

Thanks guys! Yeah, it seems to be a pretty close race between the 70-300mm ED and the Sigma, it might just boil down to price. That's definately great a series of shots of the Nellis AFB airshow. I can't wait for next airshow season when I'll have all my new camera gear!

-Brett :)

Do you really want a zoom? A used 300mm f/4 can be had for not much over $400, got mine off ebay for $450 in great condition. I havent had my Nikon 70-300mm ED out of the bag ever since. Just a thought.

K

nikkor 70-300G , cheap and good quilty

faster : nikkor 70-200 2.8 VR / nikkor 80-400 VR <--but very expensive

westman said:
nikkor 70-300G , cheap and good quality

Good quality? You're joking right? I used one of those for a couple of months, couldn't wait to get rid of it.

skiboarder72 said:
i dont know if this was the same lens you were talking about above, but i have a D50 and I was looking into a longer zoom too and this is the lens i was thinking about getting

http://www.sigmaphoto.com/lenses/lenses_all_details.asp?id=3303&navigator=3

http://www.ephotozine.com/equipment/tests/testdetail.cfm?test_id=369

you can get it for around 200$ and with a macro mode thats pretty good, looks pretty good too, let me know if any of you have heard the same thing

Yes, that's the same lens. If your budget is only up to $400 then that's about the best bang for the buck telephoto zoom you'll get for a Nikon. Of course there are plenty of better lenses but they're more expensive :)

Originally Posted by westman
nikkor 70-300G , cheap and good quality

Good quality? You're joking right? I used one of those for a couple of months, couldn't wait to get rid of it.

I agree, the "G" model is a fair consumer lens at best. The ED version is MUCH better all the way around. No question.

I'd suggest you consider looking at a used Nikon 80-200 2.8 on ebay. I picked up one for around $400 and it has been outstanding. Much sharper than most of the others that have been mentioned. Just a thought :)

skiboarder72 said:
hey is the APO sigma lens that much better than the non APO one? is it worth the extra 100$? i wanted to keep it around 150

Yes, the APO version is much better than the non APO and worth the extra $100.

I'd suggest you consider looking at a used Nikon 80-200 2.8 on ebay. I picked up one for around $400 and it has been outstanding. Much sharper than most of the others that have been mentioned. Just a thought

Yes it's a really excellent lens. It will be sharper than the sigma 70-300 APO, and of course faster; but personally I find that 200mm is just not long enough for shooting aircraft. You could stick a TC on it but by then you've just increased the price and decreased the speed and sharpness.

It's all personal preference really. :)

Most reactions

Back