Telephoto lens + Flash Questions

nico

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
So I'm looking to get (or ask Santa to get) a telephoto lens and a Flash.
I don't have any as of now so I'm pretty much in new territory on what's good and what's not.

I have a Canon Rebel XT and I'm looking for a Telephoto Lens around $300-$400 possibly around the 300mm range.
I know the IS lenses are nice, but it's going to be way too expensive. Is IS necessary or is just a nice (but expensive) addition?

As for a flash, I haven't done a whole lot of research so I'm hoping you folk can help me out here. What kind of specs do you look for in a flash, do I just get something Canon made?

Thanks for all the help!

I am asking for the same type of stuff... but the the thing that Iam looking for in a flash is so that it allows me to shoot off camera without remotes.. like Using the commander mode on the Nikons

Not knowing what you are wanting to do with your new lens makes it hard to suggest one. But in general, the 70-300 is not a bad lens that would fit in your budget for a lens. It will be a f/4.5 -5.6 though. Which means you are restricted by your lighting. If you sre going to be shooting outside during the daytime, or indoors with very good lighting it will be fine. If you are not dead set on the 300mm thing Then I would suggest the 28-200. It would make a better all around lens.
As far as IS goes you will find as many diferent opinions on that as people you ask. Personally I could take it or leave it. If shooting at short focal lenghts to me it really doesn't matter. Where I can see some benifit to it is at long focal lengths where camera shake really shows. I also shoot motorsports and action and I find it to be a real pain when panning. IS will be one of those things you will have to try for yourself and see if it works for you . But I don't think it's worth the price, unless you know you need it for your purposes.
Now on to flashes. If you are going to get a good flash that will do all the things you want and need a flash to do, be reaqdy to pay more than what you are looking to pay for a lens. The Canon 430 EX or the newer 580EX II would be all the flash you will need. Now you can get cheaper flashes, but they won't let you do much more than bounce your flash.
Look into what you really need and budget for that, even if it means waiting longer to get it. Don't go buy something just to have it, cause then that is $$ not available for your needs. Do alot of reading on what you hope to accomplish with photography and base you decisions on research and neccesity.

I found a canon 380ex flash at my local used camera store (National Camera Exchange) for cheap. It is a wonderful little flash that only cost me 35 bucks.

I also have a basic canon 75-300 f4-5.6 and its a good lens on a tri with good lighting, but hand held on a cloudy day is tough of course. I picked this lens up new on sale for $160. After shooting with it for a while I purchased a monopod and it made this lens one of my favorites! I think we all wish for the $2k lenses cause it would give us more options with a f2.8 but turning the iso up can still get you the shot with a little noise...

A used Canon 70-200 f/4L can be found for a little more than $400.

Is that the USM version? If so, where'd you find it for that kind of price?

I use Sigma telephoto lenses and really like them. Okay they don't have the Image stabalisation built in but i have had no trouble with them.

Not knowing what you are wanting to do with your new lens makes it hard to suggest one. But in general, the 70-300 is not a bad lens that would fit in your budget for a lens. It will be a f/4.5 -5.6 though. Which means you are restricted by your lighting. If you sre going to be shooting outside during the daytime, or indoors with very good lighting it will be fine. If you are not dead set on the 300mm thing Then I would suggest the 28-200. It would make a better all around lens.
As far as IS goes you will find as many diferent opinions on that as people you ask. Personally I could take it or leave it. If shooting at short focal lenghts to me it really doesn't matter. Where I can see some benifit to it is at long focal lengths where camera shake really shows. I also shoot motorsports and action and I find it to be a real pain when panning. IS will be one of those things you will have to try for yourself and see if it works for you . But I don't think it's worth the price, unless you know you need it for your purposes.
Now on to flashes. If you are going to get a good flash that will do all the things you want and need a flash to do, be reaqdy to pay more than what you are looking to pay for a lens. The Canon 430 EX or the newer 580EX II would be all the flash you will need. Now you can get cheaper flashes, but they won't let you do much more than bounce your flash.
Look into what you really need and budget for that, even if it means waiting longer to get it. Don't go buy something just to have it, cause then that is $$ not available for your needs. Do alot of reading on what you hope to accomplish with photography and base you decisions on research and neccesity.

Thanks for your input!
One question, as far as zooming is concerned, how much am I losing from the 300mm to the 200mm. Does anyone have pictures to compare? Right now my everyday lens is a 28-55mm so I'm getting a pretty big bump either way and it looks like the 200mm could become my everyday lens if that's the case.

If you don't mind a used lens I would get the 70-200 f/4 over the 70-300 in a heartbeat. you can google for lens examples. but the 70-200 is by far better.

I've read that as well, I'll do some googling to see what I find. I might have to forgo my Flash getting and focus on this awesome lens.

Thanks Village!
I have to contemplate that, I'm not sure how I feel about buying used...but I appreciate the link.

Most reactions

Back