Telephoto Lens - Help in Selection

ravikiran

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Hai Everyone,
I got to consult you regarding purchase of new lens. I am interested in wildlife photography and am looking for a telephoto lens at the cheapest prices. I got through two lens
1. Opteka 500mm f/8 telephoto lens - $70
2. Kenko 420-800mm f/8.3-16 lens - $160
I didn't find many reviews regarding both the lens and would like to know your opinion on the issue. I would be very happy if there's anyone who had a feel of any of the two lens and would like to share their experiences.
One more important doubt --- I have a Nikon D50 and Sony Alpha100 cameras. As they were providing T-Mount adaptors for both of the lens, is it sufficient if I buy one lens(with Nikon T-mount) and an Sony T-mount?

amiably,
Ravi Kiran.

f/8 or f/8.3-16 will be very painful (high iso or loooong exposures needed).

that combined with the length of > 400 will be very hard to handle!

Those lenses are cheap for a reason...they are crap. You would be much better off getting a cheap 70-300mm zoom and cropping the image.

Oh. Thank you Alex and Mike. I was aware of that, but was just tempted by the low price. That's it. Anyway thank you for the help.

I agree with Mike and Alex. I had the Phoenix 500mm mirror lens and hated it. It was very hard to focus and you needed a very bright sunny day for it to be useful. Don't do it!!

Most reactions

New Topics

Back