Telephoto lens help

I have never owned the lens so I have no opinion. Here however is what a lot of people that have owned the lens felt.

I have that lens and never use it. It's really slow to focus and on some samples the CA (chromatic aberration) on the long end is really awful. Mine isn't too bad but I just don't like the lens. It's cheap for a reason...it's one of Canon's worst lenses ever.

A better choice would be the EF-S 55-250mm f/4.0-5.6 IS lens.

I'd try to find a USM lens. I have the same lens but it's USM and I think it focuses fairly quick. I like it and use it quite a bit.

ya the price is $100...im gonna do more research on it and c if its worth it. i'm jus looking for a cheap beginner telephoto lens...

70-300mm 4-5.6 IS USM :) its significantly more, but from the reviews seems to be pretty good

I have it and its not worth it. I never use it.

i wanted a cheap tele to play with a month ago and picked up the tamron 75-300mm 4-5.6 for $126 new from amazon. its now only $99!

Amazon.com: Tamron AF 75-300mm f/4.0-5.6 LD for Canon Digital SLR Cameras: Electronics

the image quality is fantastic for what it is. there are times when its image quality shows the price you paid, but other times...WOW!

most of my candid puppy shots were taken with it, like this one (hope you dont mind me posting it!):

my only gripe is that when the sun starts to go down, so does your chances of getting a decent shot off with it. shutter speed starts to drop fast, and forget using it inside. however, since not all of us can be blessed with the 70-200mm 2.8 IS...this fills my needs for now. did i mention how cheap this lens was? you really cant go wrong, especially if you're just looking for something non-serious to play with to get your feet wet, and at its current price you're not stuck with something expensive should you not use it.

sorry for the rant/advertisement. dont mean it to come off like that...but did i mention the price? brand new! :p

for the price of a canon 55-250 you can pick up the 50mm 1.8 AND this tamron. :)

(if you dont already have the 50mm 1.8, it'll blow you away. especially indoor shots you wouldnt normally think would be possible without flash.)

:)

As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
Indeed. The EF-S 55-250 f/4.0-5.6 IS is a much better option. Not super quick to focus, but it's respectable, and the IS on such a long lens can really save your butt. Plus, it's light and compact; very good for candid shots because it doesn't attract much attention and has lots of reach.

Indeed. The EF-S 55-250 f/4.0-5.6 IS is a much better option. Not super quick to focus, but it's respectable, and the IS on such a long lens can really save your butt. Plus, it's light and compact; very good for candid shots because it doesn't attract much attention and has lots of reach.

ya i'll jus try and find one cheaper than $250 sumhow...maybe craigslist might have one in my area or do u kno any other sites to find one?

its a nice range, if its used I would check it well but other wise not bad for the money!

Most reactions

Back