Telephoto Lens

vonDrehle

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I was hoping you could suggest a good telephoto/telephoto zoom lens.
I'm really not sure if I will need it. I currently have a 28-105mm lens and a EF 17-40 f/4L USM in the mail.
I plan on using it for different sports. I really want to get some pictures this year for track when I'm not throwing. Any help/advice is appreciated.

Camera: Canon EOS Elan 7ne

Thanks.

it's helpful for sports to have a long telephoto, but not absolutely necessary. if you can get fairly close to the action, it's not as essential. what is your budget?

Yes, your budget will be important to give recommendations for this. Lenses for sports can be expensive.

Typically for sports, you want to freeze the action...which means you need fast shutter speeds...and to get fast shutter speeds in questionable light, you need to open up the aperture. If your maximum aperture at 300mm is only F5.6 or higher...you might have a hard time getting a fast enough shutter speed.

There are some lenses in the 70-300 range...some better than others. I've heard good things about the 70-200 lenses from Canon & Sigma. There is an F4 model and a much more expensive F2.8 version.

I plan on asking for this for Christmas or my Birthday. I normally only ask for one big thing so anything less than say $1500. Also will look on ebay so if there are any good lens more expensive I will check those out also.

'BIGMA' (sigma) 50-500mm f4-f6.3

SIGMA 70-200 2.8 EX APO DG

Canon 300mm f4/L

sigma APO 100-300 f4 EX IF HSM

those are your best choices IMO. the bigma is the best deal, but might not work as well in low light. if you are shooting outdoors every time, then that or the 100-300 would be your best choice. all of these lenses you can get for around $1000 or less and are all very very good.

Well if 1500 USD is your budget look at Canon L series lenses.

70-200mm f2.8 $1100
70-200mm f 4 $600
70-200mm f2.8 IS $1600
100-400mm f4.5 IS $1400

I have 70-200mm f2.8 IS it
it’s a very good for sports in the day time.
But can be a little slow at night a poor light fields. Also I use 2x with it but only in the day time

Thanks for all your help I'll look into those.

Side question. I don't know much about filters or lens hoods and I was wondering if you would recommend getting them for my lenses.
If a filter I would like one that would work well with landscape.

Lens hoods are great, they help to stop stray light getting into the lens...reducing lens flare etc. A solid hood can also protect the lens from getting smacked. Expensive lenses will often come with the hood included...I would think that your 17-40 should come with one (if bought new).

As for filters...a polarizer is your best friend when out doors. Also, graduated or split filters can be handy for landscape work. Some people even keep a UV filter on the lens at all times, for protection.

There are as many different kinds of filters as there are shooting situations. I tend to think that the best way to go...is to not use filters at first. Then when you know what you can do without a filter...it should be easy to find the right filter to achieve what ever it is that are trying to achieve.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back