Telephoto/Zoom Lens

Scotter06

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Im looking to buy a new lens for my Canon AE-1 Program. I have been looking at two different ones right nwo but i am looking for sugestions on others. Right now I have found a Tokina 60-300mm or a Tokina 300-500mm. The purpose of the lens is for taking pictures of wildlife on my property and sporting events. How far of a shot can I make with a 300mm lens? Please help.

300mm will be about 6x magnification. It will all depend on how big your subject is. Make sure to get a good tripod. That will improve your pictures.

Varthlokkur said:
300mm will be about 6x magnification. It will all depend on how big your subject is. Make sure to get a good tripod. That will improve your pictures.

I've done both Wildlife and Sport photography and i've never needed antyhing as powerful as a 300mm. Maybe that is just personal preference though.

I've got a couple AE-1's. I have an 80-200mm zoom and I find it pretty rare that I really need anything more powerful. At those times, I slap on my teleconverter for that extra umph - but you can really only use it on a tripod at that point, unless you're shooting at 500th of a second and even then, it's pretty hard to keep the camera steady enough.

On 35, most guys I know have a similar setup.

tr0gd0o0r said:
How close will you be able to get to the wildlife and what kind of wildlife?

I have some property up north and i want it for taking pictures of mainly deer and other animals found in northern michigan. Every shot should be under 75-100 yards. I really want to get good detailed close ups from about 30 yards. Will this work for that?

Most reactions

Back