teliconverter

Discussion in 'Photography Equipment & Products' started by kemplefan, Feb 6, 2006.

1. kemplefan

kemplefan TPF Noob!

what is the deal with teliconverters and will it work wiht a 70-300 taht is not a 2.8
    is it s good thing to have
    how efective is it
    what do i lose or gain
    and how much do they cost
    i shoot nikon

2. Big Mike

Big Mike I am Big, I am Mike Staff Member Supporting Member

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos NOT OK to edit
    Teleconverters are typically used with fast zoom lenses or prime lenses. This is because they 'rob' you of light. A 2X TC will cost you about two stops of light.

Autofocus camera usually need about F5.6 for autofocus to work. So if you put a teleconverter behind a 70-300 F5.6, autofocus will not work. Although, you still might be able to see well enough to manual focus the lens.

Also, they do degrade image quality...how much, depends on the quality of the TC...better quality costs more money, as per usual.

3. mysteryscribe

mysteryscribe TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    I have a bunch of these things around and to tell you the truth for ease of use and picture quality a piece of glass on the front I find better. A 1.5 piece of glass in my case is better to me than a converter. They made a lot of them for use with big video cameras once upon a time.

The one in front doesn't seem to effect the exposure as much, and it does soften it some but it turns a prime lens of 50 mm to a pretty good portrait lens of 75 mm. Always nice for an outside the studio bag.

4. kemplefan

kemplefan TPF Noob!

ok thanks for the info, but is it worth bying one or for the money just bying say a 50mm 1.8

5. mysteryscribe

mysteryscribe TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    If it isn't to expensive you might as well. I really needed and used one of my converters like once in five years but hey you might use it more.

6. kemplefan

kemplefan TPF Noob!

will it work well for anything outher than super high light out dor stuf if i dont have a 2.8 or better