teliconverter

kemplefan

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
what is the deal with teliconverters and will it work wiht a 70-300 taht is not a 2.8
is it s good thing to have
how efective is it
what do i lose or gain
and how much do they cost
i shoot nikon

Teleconverters are typically used with fast zoom lenses or prime lenses. This is because they 'rob' you of light. A 2X TC will cost you about two stops of light.

Autofocus camera usually need about F5.6 for autofocus to work. So if you put a teleconverter behind a 70-300 F5.6, autofocus will not work. Although, you still might be able to see well enough to manual focus the lens.

Also, they do degrade image quality...how much, depends on the quality of the TC...better quality costs more money, as per usual.

I have a bunch of these things around and to tell you the truth for ease of use and picture quality a piece of glass on the front I find better. A 1.5 piece of glass in my case is better to me than a converter. They made a lot of them for use with big video cameras once upon a time.

The one in front doesn't seem to effect the exposure as much, and it does soften it some but it turns a prime lens of 50 mm to a pretty good portrait lens of 75 mm. Always nice for an outside the studio bag.

Most reactions

Back