Tell me what you think.

Discussion in 'Graphics Programs and Photo Gallery' started by KwikC6, Dec 8, 2008.

1. KwikC6

KwikC6 TPF Noob!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos OK to edit
    I went to the Zoo here in Fort Worth, Texas yesterday and got to use use my new Nikon D90 for the first time. I also just downlosded a trial version of Aperture to my IMac. I have a lot to learn so I am going to post this photo to get some feedback. All I really did to it was crop it. What do you think?

[​IMG]

2. goliath

goliath TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    The image is very flat (to my taste). Try increasing contrast and don't be afraid to push it up.

3. Overread

Overread has a hat around here somewhere Staff Member Supporting Member

Photos OK to edit
    compositionaly I really like this photo - and you managed to get all of both cats into the frame - no tail cutting :)
    That said it looks like it was a dull shooting day (weather wise) and that has slowed your shutter speed - and I belive that has introduced blur into the shot - which is why it has that soft appearance to it. Boost your ISO if you have to to get a better shutter speed.
    Contrast boost would help here as well

4. LaFoto

LaFoto Just Corinna in real life Staff Member Supporting Member

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Yes, was going to say the same about contrasts, and a bit of sharpness boost would not go amiss here, either, I think. I don't know if Aperture has something as "mild" and as controllable as Unsharp Mask, but that's what I would suggest you apply.

5. KwikC6

KwikC6 TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    Thanks for all the feedback. Doing this Digitally is all new to me. I really like the way I was able to compose this. I don't like the blurred movement but that is just me learning how to use the camera and not getting a fast enough shutter speed. I did a bit of touch up in Aperture. I really need to learn how to use this program! It seems to really be able to do a lot. Here is what I came up with. Changing the contrast really made a difference!

[​IMG]

6. eminart

eminart TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    The second one looks good, but maybe just a touch too dark in my opinion. Does aperture have a "curves" adjustment?

7. mrodgers

mrodgers No longer a newbie, moving up!

Photos OK to edit
    I love the motion blur of the feet, great sense of them moving towards each other.

Since it says "Ok to edit", I used the image to play around with some stuff I want to learn. It didn't work the way I intended for the image, but it did allow me to use what I recently read about and wanted to learn.

So, here's my take. Levels and curve adjustment and I wanted to try out creating a selection by creating an alpha channel and using it as a layer mask to sharpen just the cubs. The sharpening of the cubs just didn't work real well for me.

[​IMG]

EDIT: Stupid me, photobucket no longer automatically copies the links for me and I pasted my daughter in instead of the cubs, LOL.

Last edited: Dec 10, 2008
  8. Flash Harry

Flash Harry TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Havent seen the scene but thought the first edit too dark n the second overly sharpened and lacking colour so thought I'd drop this one in,

[​IMG]

Hope you like, H

9. Ecas32

Ecas32 TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    i like the second one the best, the last looks a little to saturated to me

10. Jay M

Jay M TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    Great shot... were you able to shoot video with the D90 of what the cats did next?

I like what mrodgers has done with it.

Before you purchase Aperture you should also try Adobe's Lightroom. One huge advantage that Lightroom has is the it's multiplatform. I have my copy installed on my Mac Book as well as my desktop Vista PC.

~Jay