Tell me where did I screwed up so bad

I'm thinking about leaving photography. I'm trying so hard to build myself a portfolio for civvies, I shoot for free, but I just keep having bad experience, my portfolio is still empty. I had model who didn't show up, some who treated me like I was a dog. And now her.

Do not shoot for free. Never. It is bad for your self esteem and makes your "customers" look down on you and treat you badly.

90% about photo business is the business part. You can halfways screw up the photo part, if only you are good in the business part. In fact I know people who do just that. Give 150% in the photo part and screw up the buisness part and you are screwed. Been there done that.

Do not let yourself be dragged down by people like her, sorry.

But how am I suppose to build up my portfolio if I can't shoot for free ?
People have no Idea what I can do, I only worked in boudoir before.

You charge the going rate, but offer a portfolio building discount.
Your invoice shows what your full price is, but then the Portfolio Discount gets subtracted from that.

Plus, the portfolio building phase of your business should be covered as a early part of your written business plan.
If you fail to plan, plan to fail.

I can see it clearly you made a drastic mistake in post processing. You removed the warts, wrinkles and greenish tint from the witch's face. Might be time to reevaluate the friendship.

I think they look great

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

You charge the going rate, but offer a portfolio building discount.
Your invoice shows what your full price is, but then the Portfolio Discount gets subtracted from that.

Plus, the portfolio building phase of your business should be covered as a early part of your written business plan.
If you fail to plan, plan to fail.
This. The other method I've used is to ask them as a favour to me. " I've got an idea for a new pose/lighting plan...whatever, and I was wondering if you.would mind helping me out?" This way they're doing something for you.

So I test my theory with the body dismorphia thing and it seems like it's not my photo that she didn't like. It's the way she sees her body, I did some agressive body morph and she likes the photo.

This is sad. And Ironic, I would die for a body like hers.

I'd like to see her selfies also. The only thing I can think of is probably the expressions. There is nothing wrong, bu maybe she is looking for something different?

We all go through the same stages, doesn't matter where you are at in your career. I have clients who paid so much for my photography and love my work, then I have a few who wanted a full refund simply because they don't like my work (without any particular reasons). It's part of the struggle. :)

So, yeah, I've always thought your pictures were great.

And Ironic, I would die for a body like hers.
As an aside, I've always found women that loved their body to be attractive, no matter the shape or size. Don't wish for someone else's, embrace your own.

Most people want a true portrait. She wants to make believe she is something she isn't. Just go and retouch the heck out of them and smooth, blur and glow her to death. :)

If she doesn't like this
DSC_8009-copy3.jpg

Maybe this is better...
DSC_8009-copy2.jpg

OK. Bad jokes aside, I think she doesn't like herself and there is nothing you can do about that.

Last edited:
So, yeah, I've always thought your pictures were great.

And Ironic, I would die for a body like hers.
As an aside, I've always found women that loved their body to be attractive, no matter the shape or size. Don't wish for someone else's, embrace your own.
I like embracing my wife's body more than my own. but whatever. :)

What I noticed is that the background is so light, and maybe hazy? and she's in a dark top and shawl. I think the contrast and the clothing tends to make her look thicker thru the midriff (than maybe she really is? don't know not seeing her in person). It might have worked better to have her stand/pose differently or have your vantage point be at a different angle, arrange the shawl differently, or go with lighter clothing or a different background.

I don't know about the exposure but maybe that needed to be adjusted since you were shooting a dark subject against that background (might have thrown off meter readings). I think the close up of her is lovely; much better with less of that background. When it's hazy or cloudy it can help to frame differently to have less sky in the picture than when there's a nice blue sky.

The reality is being successful with photography (or other things as well) is probably going to take time and continuing to develop skills and maybe some investment. I think it's going to be necessary to move beyond freebies with friends, maybe hire a model, see if there are any camera clubs or art centers that have studio space available, etc.

It just seems like not that many people are doing photography as a job or career nowadays, although that might change in the future - and I don't know how many people ever were, really. The only other photographers I know at most have done it as a sideline. It might take time to develop photography as a business and consider other options that could work along with part time photography as you build up business. Maybe think about where you see yourself in 5-10 years and how would you get to that point.

Yesterday I did a Fall lifestyle inspired photoshoot.
My friend told me, she would like to do a shoot, so I went for her because I knew she would be there.
Unfortunately, she told me I screw up, she takes better selfie of herself and therefore she won't let me post any photo on my port, on facebook, pinterest, instagram. Basically, nowhere. I screw up, but I do like the photo, and it's hurt my ego like hell to have someone I like tell me they take better selfie than my photos. I'm crushed .

Where did I screw up ?

View attachment 129387 View attachment 129388 View attachment 129389

You did not screw up.I have had a handful of models with similar regards. They have a particular self image and a selfie allows them to perpetuate it. Your (my) images (to these types of models) are like how we hear ourselves on a recording...sometimes we don't like how we sound but others don't hear it the same. Does that make sense?

There's no way in hell I wanna reshoot her.
I'm thinking about leaving photography. I'm trying so hard to build myself a portfolio for civvies, I shoot for free, but I just keep having bad experience, my portfolio is still empty. I had model who didn't show up, some who treated me like I was a dog. And now her.
I'm very sorry to read that.

Please don't give up.

I think you can charge people without showing a portfolio. Show some of your boudoir shots. Get a sitting fee up front. You can offer a discount for prompt payment, or for portfolio stock, but always get some money that you keep.

Why would you let a few non photographers dictate this for you. Read the comments above by photographers that are telling you that the work you showed is not bad. Take the advice that they have suggested and keep learning and shooting.

I'm sure that you know that photography isn't something that you learn in a couple of days. And as I have learned, it is something that you need thick a thick skin.

Keep at it.

There's no way in hell I wanna reshoot her.
I'm very sorry to read that.

Please don't give up.

I think you can charge people without showing a portfolio. Show some of your boudoir shots. Get a sitting fee up front. You can offer a discount for prompt payment, or for portfolio stock, but always get some money that you keep.

I agree, she is too talented to throw it in. I may not dig her subject matter but still, I can see artistic talent being around it all my life. She has it. I think it is just the people she runs with in her quest for the most part. I am no expert but I seem to recall her doing a male shoot (I may be wrong) and the quality was there. Heck, she could go out on the street and pull people for a portfolio. I used to go to retirement homes and teach painting in my spare time (did it over 5 years). I did it because my wife's grandma suggested it, and I fell in love with all the people there. The older people were fantastic models, loved the company, and I was able sharpen my craft. I could do that with photography if I wanted and will do it. I am on a list waiting for the call in a couple places. I actually got two calls but I couldn't do them on the days they needed. Both places call me every month (last Friday) to check on my need to serve, pretty neat. Open the mind to master the craft, get creative in whats available to you, explore all avenues because the subject matter your after may not be your calling.

Last edited:

Most reactions

New Topics

Back