Sam6644

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
www.photographic-evidence.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Lets assume I have no money invested in either system;

I'm looking for a new camera. I'm a photojournalism student, I currently work for the school newspaper (which is a pretty good one), I shoot a lot of events both indoors and outdoors- day and night, sports are always a possible assignment, I also shoot more creative stuff for hobby.

I'm currently at a crosspoint where I am shooting more seriously and more often. I am also at a point where I have ot start taking my gear more seriously and start buying stuff with the future in mind as well. I'm currently a nikon guy but I'm more than willing to switch to Canon right now if it seems like the better route.

The two cameras I'm considering are the D300s and the 7D. Why or why shouldn't I buy either one? I'm learning toward the 7D right now.

Thanks folks

Could be debated all night... it comes down to a few features on either end and which are the most important to you.

I chose the D300s mainly for the 51 point auto focus and dual card slots, the Geotagging capability is nice as well. 720p HD video is plenty for my needs, and a secondary consideration when choosing my camera. Some say it's worthless, but I'll never buy another camera without video ability.

video is becoming increasingly more important for photojournalists with the amount of web stuff you're responsible for these days... that makes the 7D pretty appealing.

In reality, which ever of these two cameras I end up buying, it'll become a backup camera in 2 or 3 years when I get out of school and move into something full.

So I guess my question is a little less about the body and more about the two systems. I know this sounds like a trite Nikon/Canon debate, but I'm hoping my specific needs make it lean a little more in either direction.

The fact that every assignment I've gone on this year where I'm bumping elbows with people from The Associated Press, and big news papers, and ESPN and stuff are al using Canons with L lenses attached has been a little influential.

see you guys are just giving him more info to sift through...im just gonna say it.. get a nikon because i have one and thats why you should too....No reason why i cant back up my decision so yeah. just buy the nikon lol

Either will serve your needs. It's a personal decision really. There's nothing we can tell you that will really help. You'll get people who own Canon telling you why Canon is a good choice, and you'll get people who own Nikon telling you why Nikon is a good choice.

The fact is, people make a living using both brands, so pick the one that works for you. If you like the 7D, get the 7D.

Canon lenses are generally a bit cheaper on average right now.

Nikon makes slightly better wide lenses, Canon makes slightly better telephoto lenses.

Both brands produce fantastic top-range lenses, and differences are only really seen by looking pixel for pixel on a giant monitor.

how about glass and accessories though?

where's the advantage there?
They both have comparable lens offerings. If you want affordable f/4 lenses that are high quality, Canon has the corner on that market. If you want the best wide angle lenses, Nikon has the corner on that market. If you want modestly priced high quality telephoto lenses, Canon generally gets the nod.

Now that the 7D has Canons version of Creative Lighting, that's taken that advantage away from Nikon - at least leveled the playing field.

Canon's glass is generally more affordable. Price a Nikkor 24-70 and a Canon 24-70. You'll see about a $500 (25%) price difference.

As for accessories in general, both have tons of options offered both by the manufacturer and by a large 3rd party community. Neither has the advantage there... they're both hugely popular.

the things I keep hearing from people since I told them I've been interested in Canons is that Canon's have soft focusing, aren't as good at high ISO, and have bad flash syncing.

On the other hand, people also tell me that Canon L series lenses are about "incredible."

Also keep in mind if you get a 7D with non FX lenses, and later upgrade to a FX camera, those lenses wont work.

Not that I'm a pro - not by any means. I have a Nikon and love it. I've used a few different Canons and didn't like them at all, so I'm a little biased. Anyways.

I don't think I would ever get the 7D, based on this review:

The Canon EOS 7D Review « Darwin Wiggett

Hope you take that into consideration when making your decision.

both cameras are amazing! consider the investment you are making will go further than just the body and that in a few years you'll have to upgrade again and that the Lens you are gonna be getting are more important. and that is why I went with Nikon D300s. I love the camera and will have it for life, but at the same time I know in a few years I'll be itching to get the D4 or D5!!! anyways, both cameras are incredible and its comes to a personal choice! go to a store and play with both of them and see which one you "CLICK" with!!!! some click with Nikon and some with Canon! good luck with you choice and you will be happy with either!

Not that I'm a pro - not by any means. I have a Nikon and love it. I've used a few different Canons and didn't like them at all, so I'm a little biased. Anyways.​

I don't think I would ever get the 7D, based on this review:​

Hope you take that into consideration when making your decision.​

Not every review is filled with dislike for the 7D...: Canon EOS 7D Digital SLR Camera Review and Canon 7D worse than Canon Rebel XSI? | Pro Photo Home

As it says in the technical notes of your link, the "mushy" look is due to the strong anti-aliasing filter the 7D uses. So.... set the recording sharpness higher and your problem is solved. Pretty much all other nitpicky issues people have with the 7D can be taken care of with simple firmware updates.

the things I keep hearing from people since I told them I've been interested in Canons is that Canon's have soft focusing, aren't as good at high ISO, and have bad flash syncing.

On the other hand, people also tell me that Canon L series lenses are about "incredible."

Soft focus and not good at high ISO?

http://www.thephotoforum.com/forum/nature-wildlife/184531-why-i-bought-my-7d.html

I dunno ...I'm pretty happy (and this wasn't L glass). I didn't enter the Nikon vs. Canon debate, however, as I had already sunk a fair amount into EF glass for my 30D.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back