Tempe Town Lake - My first night shot

MATTY_T

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
This is my first "real" night shot since I got my D-SLR. This shot was taken at the Tempe Town Lake in Tempe, AZ (ASU). It took me a lot of tries to get a hang of the night shots, this was the best out of all that I took. I wish it was just a tad bit sharper but I think it looks good. C&C Please. Thanks.

18mm
f/4 @ 1.3 sec - ISO400
tempetownlake.png

Nice shot. It certainly looks like Town Lake. I'm wondering if that's the Mill Avenue bridge on the right.

It seems pretty sharp to me, but don't you have software that can sharpen it if you want?

try it at a lower iso and longer shutter and i think it would look a bit better, not sure though i could be wrong.

Nice shot. It certainly looks like Town Lake. I'm wondering if that's the Mill Avenue bridge on the right.

It seems pretty sharp to me, but don't you have software that can sharpen it if you want?

Thanks, And you are correct. That is Mill Ave bridge on the right. I didnt really even think about trying to sharpen it in photoshop but Im usually not happy with the results for that. I might try to re-shoot that soon with different settings.

try it at a lower iso and longer shutter and i think it would look a bit better, not sure though i could be wrong.
I think your right, I should have done a little more research on night shots but this was kind of a spur of the moment decision to take this shot. I looked online and they all seem to say lower iso and longer shutter speed. Thanks for your help!

Thanks, And you are correct. That is Mill Ave bridge on the right. I didnt really even think about trying to sharpen it in photoshop but Im usually not happy with the results for that. I might try to re-shoot that soon with different settings.

I think your right, I should have done a little more research on night shots but this was kind of a spur of the moment decision to take this shot. I looked online and they all seem to say lower iso and longer shutter speed. Thanks for your help!

Dont get me wrong it still looks pretty good, especially if you are new at night shooting, but just some tips for next time.

"I didnt really even think about trying to sharpen it in photoshop but Im usually not happy with the results for that."

If you're new to a DSLR, reconsider. There's a fair chance that whatever you used before was sharpening the image automatically, and additional sharpening with your software would have yielded poor results. I never needed sharpening with my old PowerShot but almost all shots with my DSLR need sharpening.

Dont get me wrong it still looks pretty good, especially if you are new at night shooting, but just some tips for next time.
Thanks!. Its all good, I knew what you were saying, you were just giving some advice and I appreciate it!

If you're new to a DSLR, reconsider. There's a fair chance that whatever you used before was sharpening the image automatically, and additional sharpening with your software would have yielded poor results. I never needed sharpening with my old PowerShot but almost all shots with my DSLR need sharpening.
Alright, i will check it out and if it helps out I will repost the photo! thanks!

Just being nit picky here, but I would like to see you rotate it so the horizon is level, and maybe crop down from the top a little to throw the subject off center.

But like I said, those are just nit picky things, it's a good shot as far as exposure and white balance goes. White balance is what a lot of newbies to night photography get wrong.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back