Teresa's Headshot 4 your C&C

A little bit more DOF would change the picture a bit...I actually think there's too much out of focus skin on the chest and shoulders, which is drawing attention away from the face and that beautiful jaw- and cheek shapes she is blessed with. I think it's always a personal decision on how much one has in-focus sharply...when the out of focus areas become dominant, to me it feels like the photo is not "revealing", but is instead "obscuring"... also, and this might just be a personal matter, but I don't like the green color fringing that most fast, non-apochromatic lenses have on the outlines of strongly OOF things at their widest three f/stops...the green line fringing her neck and shoulders is something I see as a wide-aperture hallmark of a lot of the short, fast teles.

There's no right, or wrong answer that everybody can agree on...my preference is to want to see "the whole personage" more so than have just the eyes and frontal plane of the face in crisp focus, but lose the chin, and lose the chest and neck to a sort of "obscuring" out of focus-ness. I think that dark upper right corner is making her head look angled a bit oddly, and the background vines are in need of a bit of a burn-down, especially the curved one on the left, and I'd like to see those white sleeves (?) a bit darker or highlight recovered. You've refined your methods and shooting technique so well that when it comes to offering "C&C" on your photos, it's mostly about splitting hairs and very subtle stylistic differences or options or minor,minor variations...

All opinions are my own....others may very well have very different opinions, and I'd expect they would.

Thank you all, and Derrel for your in depth critique and kind words!

On my screen only her hair is in focus. Facial features such as eyes, nose and lips are out.

On my screen only her hair is in focus. Facial features such as eyes, nose and lips are out.
Adjust your screen, yes, it's a very shallow dof and if you read above I note that

Last edited:
You instantly look right at her eyes! I love it!!! :)

The moles are distracting. If they were in focus, it would enhance her details, out of focus they just look like dust spots. A tad more headroom would be good. The hair covering her left eye is distracting from her eye when you enlarge the photo. F1.8 is a little soft and light her skin tone makes it look even softer, I would try between a f2~f2.8. The pose is awesome.

I'm not a big fan of removing ALL skin texture from the face. what is the context of the image?

I don't know how you did it, but her EYES!!!!

Oh, maybe that's your own reflection.

Whatever, it's very cool!

I find the shadowing in the cleavage to look fake / off putting and distracting.
Why am I looking there? I looked at her eyes (amazing) and then followed her wrist down.

Nominated for POTM, June, 2015.

Cat eyes juxtaposed with her Cross, what more needs to be said?

I don't know how you did it, but her EYES!!!!

Oh, maybe that's your own reflection.

Whatever, it's very cool!

Yes, it's me in her eyes ;)

I'm not a big fan of removing ALL skin texture from the face. what is the context of the image?

Due to the light and the too shallow dof there was no texture to remove ;)

Most reactions

Back