Term I've never seen, help please

Discussion in 'Photography Beginners' Forum' started by benlonghair, Jul 28, 2009.

1. benlonghair

benlonghair TPF Noob!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos OK to edit
    I'm looking at entering a state photo contest at my local agricultural fair. It refers to "salon prints" and I've never heard that term.

Here's the context: "Each exhibitor may enter a maximum of two photos in each lot. Lot 1: Black and White Salon Print . . . Lot 3: Black and White snapshots. . ."

Any idea what this means? Quick google turned up nothing.

2. UUilliam

UUilliam TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    Nails, Hair dressing, Beauty i presume?

3. Clawed

Clawed TPF Noob!

Salon prints? Lol, I can safely say I have no idea what that could be referring to.

4. beni_hung

beni_hung TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    I have no idea, either.

5. Dwig

Dwig TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    There is no standard or proper definition. The phrase is most often used to refer to a print mounted on a larger piece of mounting board (e.g. an 8x10 print on a 16x20 board) and possibly with a window matt attached. Contests usually specify a maximum, and sometimes minimum, size for the mount and the print separately.

6. Derrel

Derrel Mr. Rain Cloud

Photos OK to edit
    A salon print is synonymous with an "exhibition print". It means a print designed for display in a gallery situation--and that usually means a larger-than-normal print but not necessarily) and a print that will be viewed under relatively strong, direct illumination, usually from strong,artificial light sources.

A print that is to be displayed under glass, and that will be illuminated with strong artificial light needs to be printed a bit differently that a print that will be hung in, say, a dim, indoor hallway, or which will be presented in a folio or portfolio that will be viewed by normal, everyday office or room lighting.

A black and white salon print, for example, can have shadow values that are quite deep, but which when viewed under bright lighting, will show detail simply due to having a LOT of footcandles' wotht of light shone onto the print.A salon print can have deeper, darker blacks than a normal print designed for regular viewing,or one designed to be shot with a process camera and converted into a halftone for publication.

7. ann

ann No longer a newbie, moving up!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    years ago it also meant to hang all photos in the same direction; ie. the over all mount might be 16x20 all hanging in a vertical direction with the photos under windows going in either horizontal or vertical direction.

it creates a visual balance for a show, rather than having a variety of images in various directions and sizes.

8. benlonghair

benlonghair TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    Ah, so it's a form of mounting. Thanks. I couldn't find it anywhere.

9. tirediron

tirediron Watch the Birdy! Staff Member Supporting Member

Photos OK to edit
    Best bet is to contact the category's convener. I've found that especially in smaller fairs meanings like this tend to be mangled a bit. Generally 'Salon Print' seems to refer to a 8x10 or larger fine-art print mounted and/or matted.