Terragen crashing whole Comp

Meysha

still being picky Vicky
Reaction score
Website
vickywall.deviantart.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Well I'm not happy at the moment. I just worked on a world for an hour and then I set it off to render. I was watching it render (yes I know,, i was bored) and then it got about 80-90% done and then the whole computer crashed.

But it was a really weird crash. No BSOD, no weird clunking noise. The computer just went black and off in about half a second! And I lost everything.

I'm thinking it might have stressed out it's memory and just died. But I was only rendering at 1024x768.

You know the little option under the rendering options with something to do with memory. Well at the moment it's set to 64mb. I have 512mb of memory on my computer... so could I up that number a bit and then it might help my problem? Or am I completely on the wrong track.
I was really looking forward to posting this world on here tonight. :cry: Ah well

sorry meysha, it sounds like your having a ram issue. you could raise that buffer number to 128 and see if that works...

you could also send it to me and i could render the world for you...if you would like.

:)md

I don't think this sounds like a RAM issue. When you're rendering it stresses the CPU and your video card. The video card may be inadequate or the CPU might be getting too hot and shutting down.

edited to add:
There may be some settings in terragen that need to be changed for the type of things your cpu and videocard can handle. You might want to check on their FAQ and knowledgebase for a fix. If your motherboard has a built in thermometer you can go into the bios (generally by pressing the delete key when you first start up) and see what it says for temp.
Back when I built my computer, i was getting temps of 60C+. The heatsink wasn't properly seated on the cpu and the computer would crash while I was running a multimedia stress test.

No you're not an idiot.

The overheating thing sounds feasible. I might turn my computer off tonight and let it cool down and try it again tomorrow morning. I have rendered things a bit more stressful than this before so I don't think it's the video card. But we'll see once it's cooled down.

Thanks for your fast replies!

Intel Celeron 2GHz.
That should be able to handle it shouldn't it? Although the comp was very very hot last night when I was trying to render. It'd been sitting on the bed all day and when I felt underneath after you guys suggested heat, well it was very hot.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back