Terrible vinyl backdrop

DaisyD

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Hello. I decided to be "inexpensive" and purchase a backdrop off Ebay. It was a 5x7 vinyl backdrop shipping from China. I got it in the mail folded in an envelope. I opened it up and there were creases everywhere :apologetic: I asked them what I could do and they recommended stretching it with something heavy? or rolling it with a cylinder object for days. I tried ironing it with a sheet over it and that did not work. So I tried rolling it tight around something and that didn't work. Has this happened to anyone?? I read the reviews before I purchased it and everyone seemed to be satisfied. How can you be satisfied with all these creases?????
I want to send it back, but it will probably cost me the same amount in shipping so its not even worth it.

try putting books on the creases .. yup, for days or longer.
then roll up the BG really tightly and leave for days too.
but they will probably be there anyways

when using as a backdrop you can
1 - make sure your subject is further away from it, so you can defocus the backdrop
2 - blow out the background with a flash. I've done this alot now as sometimes I (I use muslin) just don't bother stretching it out. and blowing it out makes it easy to deal with. But the BackGround still has to be a little further back from the subject.

You might try putting it in some very hot water for say two minutes, then hanging it up. My local MIller Paint store has some REALLY AWESOME devices called tarp clips. tarp clips - Google Search

I was going to suggest what Derrel said minus the tarp clips, i'd be worried they might tear or warp the material. I'd just put it in some hot water for 5 mins or so and then lay it out under some heavy books or books with heavy objects on top of them.

Hello. I decided to be "inexpensive" and purchase a backdrop off Ebay. It was a 5x7 vinyl backdrop shipping from China. I got it in the mail folded in an envelope. I opened it up and there were creases everywhere :apologetic: I asked them what I could do and they recommended stretching it with something heavy? or rolling it with a cylinder object for days. I tried ironing it with a sheet over it and that did not work. So I tried rolling it tight around something and that didn't work. Has this happened to anyone?? I read the reviews before I purchased it and everyone seemed to be satisfied. How can you be satisfied with all these creases?????
I want to send it back, but it will probably cost me the same amount in shipping so its not even worth it.

This is what I use with my 10' x 10' vinyl backdrop:
Julius Studio Backdrop Background Muslin Photo Holders Clamps Clips Photography | eBay

When stretched tight, most of the creases pull out, but not all of them.
I only use my vinyl backdrop for fun style photo booths where the people are more interested in acting goofy in front of the camera. When printed on 4x6 paper, most of the creases don't show.

As an eBay Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.

Most reactions

Back