terrorist activity

Discussion in 'Off Topic Chat' started by Osmer_Toby, Jul 22, 2004.

1. Osmer_Toby

Osmer_Toby TPF Noob!

during the political conventions in boston and nyc- do you think we'll make it through to the election without something happening? anyone got any gut feeling on this?

btw- the article shark posted about the 14 arab musicians on a flight to la made aaron brown's report last night on cnn: apparently the story is picking up steam, as it had become something of an internet must-read...

2. graigdavis

graigdavis TPF Noob!

Im not worried. Every time a holiday comes up or any special occasion they send up the red flag to scare us all. I think the media has to do SOMETHING to have news to tell.

I went to Washington DC on the 4th of July the year after 9/11 happened. Everyone was freaking out that I was going and when we got there everyone there talked about an attack.

To do something durring the elections is too obvious. The whole idea about being a terrorist is to attack when your not expecting it.

That article was read on the morning show here this week. It is picking up more attention. Nothing will change though...

3. captain-spanky

captain-spanky TPF Noob!

i think a lot of americans are getting an over-inflated sense of self-importance thinking that someone's going to attack them every 5 minutes... bit of a generalisation i know, but that what us Brits do.. ;) :D

(PS i didn't mean you Toby - i was thinkin politicians)

Funny how terrorism didn't seem to exist before 9/11... i mean, Northern Ireland didn't matter did it... :(

4. captain-spanky

captain-spanky TPF Noob!

hang on...

didn't politics get banned from here?

I'll shut up then. :)

anyway.... to answer the question, no, i don't think anything will REALLY happen but the politicians will make you THINK it is just so you vote for them... grrrrrrrrrr slimey wretches

5. terri

terri Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos NOT OK to edit
    It's not banned as long we're polite and keep it a reasonable discussion that stays on topic. No flaming! :greendev:

And I'd tend to agree with the Captain, here. If we're considering that it "could happen" and "might happen" then we're apparently ready for them, and that deflates the purpose.

And there is a huge difference between being cautious and considering all angles, and flat-out speculative paranoia. It's the latter that gets tedious.

6. Osmer_Toby

Osmer_Toby TPF Noob!

i also would have to agree to the Captain's other point- it's funny (sad) how so many americans in general think terrorism is something new, just because it finally happened to us.

i guess i was just wondering what are people's gut feeling on the recent warning. i sure am not in the mood to argue politics, so hopefully this will not head that way.

i was thinking more of the visceral, the here and now, what's everyone feeling? do you feel way deep down that something big/bad is going to happen soon? or do you feel safe and secure that nothing is imminent? or do you have no gut feeling about it one way or the other?

7. graigdavis

graigdavis TPF Noob!

I guess I really dont think about it. Im not the type to worry about a single thing. The chances of me dying by car accident, drunk driver, or shark attack (I live in Ohio :roll: ) are better than a terrorist attack. Im not going to fret over something that might happen when there are things for me to get ready for that will happen.

I think that something is imminent, I just pray that it fails, they are caught, or that no one (or not many) gets hurt. I dont hold my breath, thats for sure.

A college professor once asked our class how many of us knew someone who has died from smoking, about half the class raised their hands. He asked how many of us knew someone who has died from cancer, about half the class raised their hands. He asked how many of us knew someone thats died by car accident, more than half the class raised their hands. Then he asked how many of us knew someone that has died from terrorists, no one raised their hands. What really are the problems that we should be focusing on?

8. captain-spanky

captain-spanky TPF Noob!

i think it's going to go A LOT worse before it gets better.... and i think 'the Bush' (both of them) have acted a bit like a catalyst... maybe a few decades of unsettlement all acted out in one.

9. Mitica100

Mitica100 Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Photos NOT OK to edit
    My take on all this:

Of course it's just a supposition but I am afraid that the current politicians in power in the good ol' USA are playing a game of 'cry wolf' for one purpose, to keep us under control and in check at all times. That's not to say terrorists will or will not strike, but it makes me wonder if our government is already counting the votes in November due to this 'terrorists are coming' strategy.

Fancy this: Late October polls show the incumbent being behind the challenger in a state that is usually a swing state (going either Republican or Democrat). A threat of terrorists possibly striking in that particular state on November 2 and you have many voters staying home and being to afraid to go out and vote. Hence, an efficient way of controlling the votes prior to voting. Of course, this is just a supposition, not that it really happens... :twisted:

10. voodoocat

voodoocat ))<>(( Supporting Member

Photos NOT OK to edit
    I agree 100% I don't buy in to the fear that the government and media is trying to sell us on.

11. tr0gd0o0r

tr0gd0o0r TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    I agree with ya on that one Mitica.

I also feel that there is no way terrorists would attack the national conventions. It's just too hard. They usually go for soft targets that are easier to get past. Of course thats based on my stereotype of terrorists that isn't really based on anything at all

12. danalec99

danalec99 TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    An intellegent and a sane terrorist group would normally not strike during a heightened security phase especially with the election around.

The musicians still baffles me! I have no clue why they would act in such a way. May be it was just a prank :). Does anyone know about that writer?