Test Shots w/new lens and Speedlite

MarcusM

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I got my new lens, an EF 50mm f/1.4 and Speedlite 430EX and was just messing around taking some test shots. I am really pleased with both - it is so fun opening up the aperture and getting that nice bokeh, and also it is amazing what a difference an external flash can do, especially bouncing it off the ceiling. This is my almost-2-year old son Devan. Let me know what you think, please! (One thing I noticed right away on the 1st shot is that his right-hand side of his face is slightly blurry. I'm not sure why that would be if I focused on his eye (I think I focused on his left eye but I wouldn't think there would be that much of a depth difference, it was on f/2.

f/2
1/50 sec
ISO 200
no flash
devan1.jpg

Speedlite, full auto
devan_430EX.jpg

Nice images. I see what you mean in the first one. I think the DOF starts with his left eye and goes back just a little from looking at his hair, so the right side of his face must be slightly closer to you (thus forward of the DOF). My best guess.

Thanks. Yup, I see what you mean with the hair left(his) of center. I might have to try to go f/2.8, keep the 1/50 sec and bump up the ISO and see if it comes out sharper. (I have get used to the wider apertures)

Hmm, just thinking, I bet if I would have focused on his right eye, then both eyes would have been in focus! Good thing to keep in mind, probably try to focus on the side closest to me.

any other critiques? I need some constructive criticism, so I can improve! (Yea, I know, other people's kids are boring, and there are a lot of them posted on here!)

*bump*

ok, I'll try once more...anyone have any feedback on how the first (or 2nd) image could have been improved? I'm mostly wondering about the focusing w/an aperture of f/2. I'm not used to shooting with such wide apertures.

Using really wide apertures can be fun...but you have to be careful, especially when you are so close to your subject. If you want your subject in focus...or at least a good part of them...you may need to stop down...maybe more than you think.

Also, keep in mind that DOF extends 2/3 past the focus point and only 1/3 back toward you. So always focus on the closest thing that you want to be in focus (or at least closer to the close part than the further part)...so try to focus on the closer eye, when trying to get them both in focus.

You could even calculate your DOF (or use a chart etc) so that you know just how deep your DOF will be for a given distance & aperture.

Bouncing the flash is great, isn't it? Nice soft light. You can also try bouncing off of walls or even turn the flash right around. The one problem with ceiling bounce is that you may get dark eye shadows. This is where a bounce card or flash accessory comes in handy, to throw some of the light forward for fill.

The first shot has too shallow of a DOF, IMO. Your on the right track though.
The second shots is nice, but it's underexposed...there are a lot of things that should be white, but they aren't. Don't be afraid to play with the FEC when using flash.

Thanks for the great feedback Mike! That's what I was looking for!

So I was right about trying to focus on the eye of the closer side of his face, that makes sense! That's great to know about the 1/3, 2/3 DOF rule. I think I read that somewhere but it was long before I ever got to really experiment with it.

Does that rule apply to pretty much all lenses?

Does that rule apply to pretty much all lenses?
Yes, it's got to do with the physics of photography, not any individual lens.

Most reactions

Back