testing flickr v deviantart vibrancy

johngpt

Been spending a lot of time on here!
Reaction score
Website
www.flickr.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
The original looked smashing in photoshop. Vibrant, colours popping. Uploaded to flickr and was disappointing. Original shot in sRGB and PP'd in sRGB, so that shouldn't have been the problem.

So, uploaded to deviantart as well, and will post from both here to see if there is a difference.

flickr
2855337278_4e4a161ec1_o.jpg

deviantart
waning_light_13Sep08_by_johnguarino.jpg

I opened up both them in Photoshop, (copied from here) and layered them both on top of each other, nothing looks different back in PS, but on here the flickr pic seems to be brighter. Ive noticed this happening to myself sometimes, but its hit or miss with me and dont have a reason either behind whats happening. Could be just how each site handles the image.

When I look at them for the first time in awhile, I see what you're seeing. If I keep looking back and forth, they become the same!

Not that it matters that much, but further experimentation showed that if an image has lots of warm colors, reds, oranges, etc, there will be a difference in saturation depending upon how the jpeg is saved from the photoshop psd file.

If I save as jpeg using File>Save for Web (PS CS2), the colours aren't as saturated.

If I save as jpeg using File>Save As, then choose jpeg from the options, the colors at that end of the spectrum are more vibrant. There doesn't appear to be a discernible difference between the two ways of saving when the image doesn't have vibrant reds/oranges.

I've also noticed that Save for Web strips the exif data from the jpeg, while choosing Save As retains the data.

So if an image is dominated by that red end of the spectrum, and I want to save it as a jpeg for uploading, I now use the Save As method rather than the Save for Web method. And there doesn't seem to be a difference in how flickr displays an image versus deviantArt.

FWIW.

Compared:
The upper one is slightly brighter than the lower.

The 2nd one is smaller. If you look at them in the post by scrolling down, I think the first one appears brighter because you view the brightness, then scroll down to a slightly smaller image and get the darker blue first. It tricks your mind into seeing the 2nd image as not as bright.

I opened both in a new tab and clicked between them both resized to fit my window and in full size. I could see absolutely no difference at all other than the size.

aha yes- optical illusion. Good work!

The 2nd one is smaller. If you look at them in the post by scrolling down, I think the first one appears brighter because you view the brightness, then scroll down to a slightly smaller image and get the darker blue first. It tricks your mind into seeing the 2nd image as not as bright.

I opened both in a new tab and clicked between them both resized to fit my window and in full size. I could see absolutely no difference at all other than the size.
Exactly.

Most reactions

Back