Testing out the new Sony 85mm 1.4 GM lens

Chrispyphotos

TPF Supporters
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Trying out some studio work..... out of the year I have been a part of the studio.. this is my 3rd time actually using it bwhaha... I fail.

I persuaded my wife to let me take some photos of her with my new 85mm GM... though I do have to run a 5k on Saturday now.

Note: my wife doesn't wear make up... so the skin retouching isn't perfect, but that's because a lot of what would have been covered up with make up was still visible.

As always, CC welcome!

A7ii + Sony 85mm 1.4 GM lens
1 Alien bee 400 over head in a softbox
Triggered with Pocket wizard IIIs

CC Welcome as always.

[url=https://flic.kr/p/FMQCGE]

[url=https://flic.kr/p/FhFJxx]
[/url][/url]

The lens seems to be performing very well, but you need to get your wife to relax a little; she seems very tense in these images.

Soooo jealous. I want that lens!!

Your wife is lovely, the lighting and black and white conversion is great. Have fun at the 5k!

You need to remove the part about her makeup as it sounds like an apology for a perceived shortcoming. She gives you nothing to apologize for.
Nice pics.

Great set.
The first is my fav. Could work well as a product shot.
The second I would like to see it cropped a bit higher so not to cut off that couple of hairs.

As for the makeup. From what I can see she has great skin so not having makeup is a bonus not a detriment to the photo.

So what are your thoughts on it? Focus speed, focus accuracy, weight, etc. What other systems have you used? Comparison, etc.

Very nice and sharp! Your wife makes a lovely model. :)

I think you picked the wrong subject, it seems your uber lens is not the topic here now ...

What do you think of the lenses physical size? It appears large, but images on the web can be deceiving.

Trying out some studio work..... out of the year I have been a part of the studio.. this is my 3rd time actually using it bwhaha... I fail.

I persuaded my wife to let me take some photos of her with my new 85mm GM... though I do have to run a 5k on Saturday now.

Note: my wife doesn't wear make up... so the skin retouching isn't perfect, but that's because a lot of what would have been covered up with make up was still visible.

As always, CC welcome!

A7ii + Sony 85mm 1.4 GM lens
1 Alien bee 400 over head in a softbox
Triggered with Pocket wizard IIIs

CC Welcome as always.

Both the subject and the photos are beautiful.

Thanks for the replies everyone!

As for the lens - It makes me feel all warm and fuzzy every time I shoot with it!

Focus is on par with other 85 1.4 lenses, and it doesn't sound like a wood chipper as everyone makes it seem like.

The weight and size actually make it BETTER, IMO. It is a solid lens, that is relative to the size of my a7ii w/ L bracket. I have large hands, so holding the lens with my left hand just feels right. On top of that having the Eye AF set to the focus hold button on the lens is pretty magical as well.

Yesterday a friend of mine and I did a shoot comparing this 85mm 1.4 g master with the zeiss 85 1.4.

good shots

3 is the best

1 I think needs a better crop

2 is good but the top of her hair is chopped :(

Most reactions

New Topics

Back