Chris of Arabia

Herding cats since 1988...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Website
www.flickr.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Still haven't succeeded in getting the server install to work yet, but this post comes to you from within the 'live' demo on the desktop version of ubuntu. Firefox is already bundled in and it seems to be running a good bit quicker than under my normal flavour of Windows. This could get interesting....

Which version of Ubuntu are you using? Is that the latest 8.10 (Intrepid Ibex)? I got so frustrated with Windows XP lately, that I switched exclusively to Ubuntu 8.04. So far it seems to be working smoothly.

Only used 8.04 so far. Reading the Ubuntu forums, some people seem far from happy with 8.10 and are reverting back to 8.04 - could actually be due to the high installed base though that it looks like lots are having issues. I'm actually trying to create an 8.04 LAMP server, but so far, the install has been anything but smooth, though to be fair I'm learning as I go along and am no expert, and have no real time to dedicate to it either.

[geek alert]

Well I finally got it all to install last night, partitioning issues out of the way and everything, installed the LAMP stuff, then dropped a KDE desktop onto it. The beast is alive!

Tried putting http:/localhost/ into Konquerer (Kubuntu's default web browser) and it pop's up the simplest message in the world. It said "It works" - how cool is that! 'Tis all I needed to know...

[geek alert]

Well I finally got it all to install last night, partitioning issues out of the way and everything, installed the LAMP stuff, then dropped a KDE desktop onto it. The beast is alive!

Tried putting http:/localhost/ into Konquerer (Kubuntu's default web browser) and it pop's up the simplest message in the world. It said "It works" - how cool is that! 'Tis all I needed to know...

I am glad you managed to set up your server. Is Ubuntu the only OS you now use? I am curious because I would like to know if you use Ubuntu for photo processing and if so what software you use. I am after a RAW converter/workflow software that will be supported by Ubuntu. I downloaded the trial version of Bibble Pro and I like it. So far I cannot find anything else that support RAW files from the Olympus E-420. Are you aware of anything else?

No, I'm still using Vista on the main PC (this one). The Ubuntu (strictly speaking Kubuntu because of KDE) is intended only as a server for messing with web dev stuff. To be honest, I built it because I could - the PC was there, Ubuntu was free (or nearly so - bought a disk rather than download), there was a spare port on my Netgear router, and I wanted to give it a go.

I only really installed KDE, because the server install by itself is a command line only operation, which would mean I'd have to learn a whole bunch of Linux stuff right off the bat, before I could do anything. KDE at least gives me a GUI and gives the mouse a purpose in life again. It kind of eases me into playing around with this stuff and expanding my knowledge a bit.

As far as I know, KDE doesn't come with anything specific for photo-editing, or at least not that I've spotted yet. I do see a fair few mentions of GIMP around the forums though and have seen some good results from it on flickr. Not sure whether that can do RAW though. My photo editing is going to stay Windows based I think, especially as I'm expecting a student edition of CS4 Web Premium for Christmas.

Most reactions

Back