Texas Politician Proposes Bill Prohibiting Photographing Police, Receives Death Threats

Is your criticism directed at the threatener or at the state legislator?

They're just following the path of disassembling the Constitution there. It's already illegal to photograph private property with a drone over 8 feet up unless you have the owners written consent.

Unless you're in law enforcement.

Or a realtor.

Or military.

Or a firefighter.

Or a medic.

Or a medical examiner.

Or a farmer.

Or work for an oil company.

The legistslator. I just didn't want anyone to assume that I condone death threats, so I prefaced my post. lol

The legistslator. I just didn't want anyone to assume that I condone death threats, so I prefaced my post. lol
My original impression was that you thought Texans were too liberal with death threats.

You would be hard pressed to find anyone (at least anyone I know or talk with) that would be in favor of this legislation. Legislation is proposed constantly that goes against what the majority of anyone with any common sense would support. Unfortunately I think this is just evidence of infringement on rights across the entire country.

I'm an advocate of locally independent police forces, and they are under assault on many fronts, but this legislator is trying to write law without knowing what to write and how to write it. Invariably such shortsighted legislation has more unintended consequences than desired results. In this case I believe he is trying to protect the police, but his methodology is misguided.

The question that immediately jumps to my mind is: "What is it that they're doing that causes them to be afraid of being filmed?" Any civil servant at any level should expect to be subjected to and able to stand up to the most explicit public scrutiny at any time.

I think if you look back not too far in history these types of laws are just the beginning to the erosion of basic liberties. Like tired iron said these are employees of the people who pay their salary. There has to be checks and balances for our system to function as intented.

I'm an advocate of locally independent police forces, and they are under assault on many fronts, but this legislator is trying to write law without knowing what to write and how to write it. Invariably such shortsighted legislation has more unintended consequences than desired results. In this case I believe he is trying to protect the police, but his methodology is misguided.

Has is not being able to take pictures of the police supposed to protect them?

Has (sic)(how)is not being able to take pictures of the police supposed to protect them?
I have no idea, but that shows the flawed thinking of the legislator, now doesn't it?

I sure hope you're not on my case for trying to make clarity of this mess, because you'd be wrong.

Not at all. Just trying to clarify what you meant. I completely agree about the locally independent police force.

I have this (perhaps obsolete) idea that the local police forces are there to serve the local citizenry, and therefore are also accountable to those same citizenry. The police-force masters (the local government) are (or perhaps should be) the middlemen taking care of the administrative details on behalf of the same citizens. The other view of this would be to have the local police act as enforcers of the local government which is NOT accountable to the citizenry, and that is, at least in my opinion, the definition of a police state.

There are precedents in this. It is illegal to photograph private property in a number of jurisdictions, and specifically, the operation of certain agricultural concerns, where in the past, smuggled videos and photo images have revealed abuse of animals. Whether one agrees or not with the issues involved with animal cruelty and industrial agricultural practices, the act of making the images has been criminalized to the detriment of the ability of the citizenry to see what is going on.

Photography by the public is a form of accountability. The more that is restricted, the more we need to really examine the motives behind those doing the restricting.

Last edited:
Photography by the public is a form of accountability. The more that is restricted, the more we need to really examine the motives behind those doing the restricting.
Along with accountability is the requirement to be informed. An ill-informed citizenry is usually what prompts the police force to avoid meddlesome interference.

I've got lots more, but this is not the place to expand on it.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back