TFCD Question

OOoooh another question. What if a client absolutely falls in love with a photo you think is wack... maybe the arm is cut off... or something that is very noticable to you or other photographers. The request this image. What would you do say sorry you can't have it... or try to edit as much as possible OR just give it to them and say "don't put my name on it (I don't want credit for this one..." lol
As my MM profile says, "If we agree a shot is good, you may have a copy once I complete the editing process." That's for the artistic photos. If we're talking about portraits or wedding photos I'll probably be more flexible. But when doing something artistic I'm the final judge on what I want out there and what I don't want out there.

Hopefully that's clear as mud. :)

This has been a very interesting and informative discussion. Please continue.

What are a few of the other caveats someone just getting into this type of endeavour is inevidetibly going to overlook?

Now there are some paying customers who absolutely demand...

uhhh... let's stop right there.

Sorry. No "demands" entertained here. I'LL do what I said I would do, and YOU (the customer) do what you said you would do. It's really pretty simple.

-Pete

I'm glad I do not have that attitude. It would have cost me a very big job. A paying customer gets what they ask for to the best of my ability. Get your name out there as a pain in the a$$ to work with and your paying customers will soon become few and far between.

I've heard it's not unusual that when shooting for someone/a company/studio that does their own in-house editing to hand them the original untouched RAWs as part of the deal. Perhaps there's some agreement that the photog gets to approve the final edits? Has anyone done such a thing or is that just a world of hurt waiting to happen?

What are a few of the other caveats someone just getting into this type of endeavour is inevidetibly going to overlook?

+1 on that.

I've heard it's not unusual that when shooting for someone/a company/studio that does their own in-house editing to hand them the original untouched RAWs as part of the deal.
I don't get paid for my photos ATM, but even my mother would not be privy to unedited images of worth. There are times when showing an example of before/after it might be appropiate, but otherwise... KMA.

EDIT: I just re-read my response and it just seems in bad form to put mother and KMA in the same sentence....... sorry.

That's really what I thought too. Just something I've heard in passing; struck me as odd and potentially poor business practise, but I can see how it might come to pass.

I'm glad I do not have that attitude. It would have cost me a very big job. A paying customer gets what they ask for to the best of my ability. Get your name out there as a pain in the a$$ to work with and your paying customers will soon become few and far between.
For my non-paid art work (yes, I call my work art even if you don't agree) I make the rules. When I'm trading my time for their time, we play by my rules for images. If I don't like something, I don't release it.

If I were getting paid and I entered into a contract with a company that stipulated they owned every single image I shot, then obviously I will deliver every single image I shot. It would be up to me if I could live with those terms. Chances are I could live with them. When someone is paying you for your time, that's different. Plus, I doubt a company that's image savvy is going to release an out of focus, poorly lit, eyes closed shot. Their reputation is on the line too.

Two totally different scenarios. But I'm with you, I would do it if required.

For my non-paid art work (yes, I call my work art even if you don't agree) I make the rules. When I'm trading my time for their time, we play by my rules for images. If I don't like something, I don't release it.

Yup, completely different.

I wonder how many paintings Picasso started and then trashed. Unfortunately for photographers, our trash will never have the same value as a trashed Picasso if there are any still around :lol:

I wonder how many paintings Picasso started and then trashed. Unfortunately for photographers, our trash will never have the same value as a trashed Picasso if there are any still around :lol:
Speak for yourself! I plan on being every bit as well known as Picasso... or Ken Rockwell (ANDS! bait, lets see if he takes it). :D

I wonder how many paintings Picasso started and then trashed.
I went to his gallery in Barcelona to view the work. It's quite amazing how many small (8"x10" and smaller) pencil sketches he amassed to create one 8' x 15' piece of art on canvas.

I wonder how many paintings Picasso started and then trashed.
I went to his gallery in Barcelona to view the work. It's quite amazing how many small (8"x10" and smaller) pencil sketches he amassed to create one 8' x 15' piece of art on canvas.
I pencil sketch all of my shots before I take them. See, I'm going to be famous!

That guy you shot that was getting all the MM hit's. The one that didn't sign a MR. Bummer.

If I were getting paid and I entered into a contract with a company that stipulated they owned every single image I shot, then obviously I will deliver every single image I shot. It would be up to me if I could live with those terms. Chances are I could live with them. When someone is paying you for your time, that's different. Plus, I doubt a company that's image savvy is going to release an out of focus, poorly lit, eyes closed shot. Their reputation is on the line too.

Two totally different scenarios. But I'm with you, I would do it if required.

Ok I agree with your train of thought. My mistake is that I've been treating TFCD the same as paid work.... well except the couple of times I was dumb and didn't get a model release. It's funny how even people your shooting TFCD can be just as demanding as paid customer. But I think I'm going to make up rules for TFCD clients and stick to it. No disk of all images anymore... only edited versions.

Paid customers are definitely different... and I have to figure out how I would deal with them... But yeah two totally different scenearios.

That guy you shot that was getting all the MM hit's. The one that didn't sign a MR. Bummer.

What about him? It's flattering because I took the photos yet insulting because credit wasn't given. I wish I could give you guys the link so I could put him on blast but that would be sooo wrong. lol :lol: I'm just going to send him his photos without the logo for his portfolio and just request that any images of mine that he posts online that he gives photog credit... But all I can do is request since he didn't sign the release...

Most reactions

New Topics

Back