TGIF

photogoddess

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
www.trueblueintimates.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Welcome to our weekly TGIF thread. :cheer: So... whatcha got planned for the weekend guys and girls?

Malachite and I are starting our weekend off with Margarita Madness tonight. It's become a weekly thing at our house for Friday nights and seems to be getting more and more popular. I wonder why. ;) Nothing else planned for the rest of the weekend except maybe some well deserved rest and relaxation. :mrgreen:

Kind of a strange one on our end. :) Brad's parents are moving lock, stock and barrel from Georgia to Texas....they've sold their house, bought one in Texas, and this weekend we're going over there to pick up odds and ends, some furniture they don't want to take along.

It's a bit of a hard time for my sweet hubby....he grew up in that house, watched the trees grow and spent a lot of time taking care of the place. It's going to be hard for him to know he can't go over there anymore. :heart: His parents are dealing with it better than he is, I think!

The good news is I am inheriting this awesome, HUGE mahogany dining room table....seats 12. His mom was worried when I said I wanted it, telling me it has some water rings and is dinged in a couple places. I have elected not to tell her I'll be doing bromoils and work on the Daylab with this thing. :goodvibe: Having a beautiful, old, well-used wooden table to work on is sort of a dream come true!

Aside from that.....meh....nothing much. :mrgreen:

terri said:
The good news is I am inheriting this awesome, HUGE mahogany dining room table....seats 12. His mom was worried when I said I wanted it, telling me it has some water rings and is dinged in a couple places.

If you decide to use the table for an actual dining table... try spreading mayonaise on the finish, let it soak in really good, then wipe it clean. This will often get rid of water rings since the water actually dehydrates the wood. That's what makes the rings. Can't help with the dings though. ;)

It's a long weekend for me...some civil holiday or something. No plans really...just more wedding planning.

A couple of hours at Barnes & Noble with a grande mocha, probably a quick stroll thru couple of clothing stores... thats pretty much it, as of now! :)

photogoddess said:
If you decide to use the table for an actual dining table... try spreading mayonaise on the finish, let it soak in really good, then wipe it clean. This will often get rid of water rings since the water actually dehydrates the wood. That's what makes the rings. Can't help with the dings though. ;)
I've never heard of that one. I'll give it a try, though. The table is going in my kitchen (I have a strange kitchen, it will look fabulous in there) and it will be used as a regular table, so it sounds like a good idea.

I've refinished many a table in my day - I seem to be drawn to that weathered look, as long as it's a good quality piece.

Thanks for the tip, O Wise Chick! ;)

Well, tonight I have to go to some retirement home or something like that... My dad's work is having some community service stuff that "you don't have to go to... but it's frowned upon if you don't" :roll: And of course he is dragging us a long.

Tomorrow, Saturday... I think I'm just going to play with my camera, maybe ride my bike around the neighborhood. (busy busy) ;)
Then, Sunday... I know we have to do something... I forgot what though. :lol:

terri said:
I've never heard of that one. I'll give it a try, though. The table is going in my kitchen (I have a strange kitchen, it will look fabulous in there) and it will be used as a regular table, so it sounds like a good idea.

I've refinished many a table in my day - I seem to be drawn to that weathered look, as long as it's a good quality piece.

Thanks for the tip, O Wise Chick! ;)

One of my kids put a water pistol on my piano bench and marked it up really badly. I called my mother in a complete panic and since she knows everything about refinishing antiques, I didn't think she was totally nuts when she told me to mayonaise the furniture. :lol: My family, on the other hand, thought I was completely nuts but it worked like a charm. I tried it on my grandmother's old desk last weekend. I'd stained it up when I was a kid and while it didn't remove them totally, it minimized the markings a great deal. Personally, I like the weathered look too. :mrgreen:

terri said:
The good news is I am inheriting this awesome, HUGE mahogany dining room table.... it has some water rings and is dinged in a couple places.
If they are just dents in the wood then putting a hot iron near them (but not on them) can work. The dents are where the wood has been compressed so heating it up gently and locally make the wood swell and you can get the dent to pop back out.
If the wood has actualy been knocked out or torn away then it's a lot harder to deal with. You have to cut bits out and fit matching bits of wood back in. A job for a craftsman.

Hertz van Rental said:
If they are just dents in the wood then putting a hot iron near them (but not on them) can work. The dents are where the wood has been compressed so heating it up gently and locally make the wood swell and you can get the dent to pop back out.
If the wood has actualy been knocked out or torn away then it's a lot harder to deal with. You have to cut bits out and fit matching bits of wood back in. A job for a craftsman.
You guys rock! :lol: Thank you, Hertz. No, I've sat at that table for years in that house, it's not bad at all in the "dings" department - so I'm sitting here thinking this may be something that could work. :cheer:

I think my sweet old mother in law just wanted to drive the point home that I wasn't getting this shiny new piece of furniture. I think it's hard for her to understand I really don't like shiny new furniture. ;) She can't wait to get to her new home to buy new stuff for it.

Great score Terri !!

Tammy, that Marg-Madness night sounds fabuloso ! Yummmmmm :drool:

Long weekend here too. I'm hoping to get a lot of writing done. Fingers crossed I experience a deep fertile well of ideas and inspiration.

Other then that, cleaning, phoning my family back home, gym and other bits and pieces.

Going to the Bahamas with 14 rolls of film... Also have to read A Farewell to Arms.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back