thank the lord for UV filters!

mfacer

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
www.mattfacer.com
I bought my 20d a few weeks ago now..... put a skylight/UV filter on it straight away - and today I noticed a small scratch on it! Nothing massive, but still, a scratch!!

I shudder to think how I'd be feeling if it had been on my lens!!

my advice..... love the lens - cap it immediately!

Yeah, i'm starting to wish i had one of those on my lens. I've got a couple of lenses that i've dropped that now have bent filter rings and have spots that stick (luckily the AF doesn't seem to be affected at all)

huh lucky you mfacer! I did the same although I have only fuji s5000 and it is rather a compact cam withour changable lens. But I put UV on it and it is all in scratches now... ifI didn't do that I would have to change a camera now :(

haha... a skylight filter comletely saved my 50mm f1.8 the other day... cracked all the way through the filter in three places! imagine my relief: ten dollar filter, hundred dollar lens.

tempra said:
Is it better to use a UV filter or a Skylight filter?

The skylight filter adds a bit of warmth (for color). Electronic flash and the light in open shade are more blue than daylight. A skylight filter corrects for this.

hey mentos- did you get the scratches on your lense using the lense hood? (i guess you must have) because i always use this i thought it wouldnt be to important because the lense sits pretty far back, maybe the filter got scratched because it was actually out?
Maybe i should start using mine, although the kit i got with the camera came with 52mm filter (??) althought i will buy new ones soon so i can add direct to the hood without a stepping ring (they fit my teleconverter straight on though so i will keep the old ones)

Most reactions

New Topics

Back