Thanks for the memories nikon

binga63

TPF Supporters
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
My nikon is getting to heavy to hold for long periods of time, I love it's images but hate the sore arms and cramps that I seem to get after a long day of shooting (I am blaming the parkinson's)...so after a few months of reading and playing with a selection of cameras...I am making/made the jump to fuji....I picked up a x-pro1, 27mm f2.8 and 35mm f1.4 for nice price...I am getting a second body once I sell the d800e and was wondering should I get the X-Pro2 or the X-T1 and some more glass?

Or wait for the X-T2 which I believe is coming out. Should be an interesting move.

My nikon is getting to heavy to hold for long periods of time, I love it's images but hate the sore arms and cramps that I seem to get after a long day of shooting (I am blaming the parkinson's)...so after a few months of reading and playing with a selection of cameras...I am making/made the jump to fuji....I picked up a x-pro1, 27mm f2.8 and 35mm f1.4 for nice price...I am getting a second body once I sell the d800e and was wondering should I get the X-Pro2 or the X-T1 and some more glass?

Sorry to hear of your challenge. You are so creative and I trust no matter what hardware you choose, it will produce for you.

Or wait for the X-T2 which I believe is coming out. Should be an interesting move.
Not sure if I will wait...starting to play with the X-pro1 ...it's different

Sorry to hear of your challenge. You are so creative and I trust no matter what hardware you choose, it will produce for you.
Thank you...we all face our challenges...not finished yet :)

The XP1 does everything in slo-mo. If you need a second camera now, go for the XP2. The additional MP's make a significant difference. The XT1 is a step or two better in handling and focus performance than the XP1. The XP2 handles all of its tasks very quickly.

What I like about the XP1 was that it was so slow, a fraction of a second slower than my 1Ds, but that fraction was a night and day difference in how I shot. I really had go to back to my roots and shoot in an anticipatory fashion as opposed to a reactionary shooting style. I had to really pre-plan and think about shooting and those extra seconds of pre-planning and waiting for the right shot helped me improve my photography. The XP1 in low light is a real dog, in low light the focus is horrible and the EVF gets all smeary.

Remember that mirrorless is different than a dSLR. Not necessarily different good or different bad ... just different. The focus is way different. So give yourself time to adjust, to adapt to rethink how you use the camera. Fuji glass is top notch glass.

The problem/good thing with the XP1 and XP2 is the optical viewfinder. If you like it, then you're the happiest guy around. If you don't use it or don't use it much ... then you're paying a lot for something you don't need.

The XT1 EVF is actually much better than the XP2 EVF.

Last edited:
Thank you Gary...yes the way it focuses is very different..getting used to it's quirks...batteries don't last that long, images are ok so far...

Good luck and enjoy the new system. Is it really noticeably lighter, that x pro looks beefy enough?

Thank you Gary...yes the way it focuses is very different..getting used to it's quirks...batteries don't last that long, images are ok so far...
The battery life was my biggest gripe when I had the xt-1. Doesn't last long at all and there is no warning. The battery level would show full then all of a sudden low battery then dead. I also really didn't like how it auto shut off while carrying around and had to long press the shutter to turn back on. I suppose this could be deactivated but I'm sure battery life would go from dismal to disastrous. It might just be me but I found myself constantly bumping dials and the aperture ring and having settings change which was annoying. Great camera for size and portability but obviously some trade offs. I haven't used the xpro1 so I don't know if it has similar quirks or not.

update....I haven't fully jumped ship.....after using the fuji, only, now for 2 months, I have noticed that the way the fuji constructs it's images creates an uneven pattern on people's skin when sharpened which the nikon never did...so it looks like the nikon is hanging around that bit longer.......the fuji stays but for my semi serious (it's a passion not a job) portraits I'll stick to the nikon for the moment

update....I haven't fully jumped ship.....after using the fuji, only, now for 2 months, I have noticed that the way the fuji constructs it's images creates an uneven pattern on people's skin when sharpened which the nikon never did...so it looks like the nikon is hanging around that bit longer.......the fuji stays but for my semi serious (it's a passion not a job) portraits I'll stick to the nikon for the moment

the way fuji renders photos is definitely a little different.
im still using adobe CC with LR and PS for my fuji files and dont have any issues.
I have heard that other software is available that handles the fuji files better though, and that LR doesn't do the best job possible with the fuji raw files. (not sure if its still true since adobe has put out several updates since then) I did have to start processing my files a little differently than I did with my D600 files, especially with sharpening and detail sliders, most notably when it came to noise reduction. theres a few youtube videos on the subject and once you get the editing dialed in, the fuji cameras make a really really nice image. im extremely pleased with my x-e2, and its not even the top of the fuji food chain.

Have you tried the nikon Df? Is pretty light compared to the D800 bodies.

Edit: I just compared the weights and although the Df is lighter than the 800e it's still pretty heavy compared to the x-pro but not to far off from the xt2.

Last edited:

Most reactions

New Topics

Back