Thankyou - and goodnight

faint2.gif

Guano argue that point, LP? :greenpbl:

that must of hurt, you having to use TPF smilies

I don't really remember when I join TPF, guess once this is posted I'll know as it shows with the avatar info. Surely, it’s only been a few months nonetheless.

What I've noticed is that I am continuing to gain weight the longer I participate with this forum. Of course you are thinking of a sedentary lifestyle, staring at the monitor waiting to say something relatively intelligent with regard to interjecting my two cents worth at opportune times in a thread or three that has some justification to spark an interest in me.

Nothing could be further from the truth. So many responses from others have been direct, pointed, tongue-in-cheek and down right disrespectful. They are trying to be windup merchants and people are so willing to take the bait. This has made my skin become so thick I am about five pounds heavier than when I joined in the all the frivolity. Oh…am I’m not even going into detail about having hair grow in areas that I meticulously attempt to keep high and tight.

Some people have to grow up; others need to be reigned in and yes others should leave. It is, after all, a fact of natural attrition. Personal attacks are not pretty, very petty and we, as users of this site, should police the occasions when enough is enough. The Mods can’t be everywhere all the time. The one constraint that is not applied often enough is to not bite back with an unwanted comment. A simple “thank you for your opinion” would suffice to quail any back and forth. Even better, completely ignore it. As a reader it’s funny, as a recipient it would be irritating, as a member that wants the forum to persevere, it’s sad. The truth is that it seems to becoming more apparent.

Cha-ching - there goes two cents.

Did I post ^^ in the correct thread? The tone seemed to have changed.

I don't really remember when I join TPF, guess once this is posted I'll know as it shows with the avatar info. Surely, it’s only been a few months nonetheless.

What I've noticed is that I am continuing to gain weight the longer I participate with this forum. Of course you are thinking of a sedentary lifestyle, staring at the monitor waiting to say something relatively intelligent with regard to interjecting my two cents worth at opportune times in a thread or three that has some justification to spark an interest in me.

Nothing could be further from the truth. So many responses from others have been direct, pointed, tongue-in-cheek and down right disrespectful. They are trying to be windup merchants and people are so willing to take the bait. This has made my skin become so thick I am about five pounds heavier than when I joined in the all the frivolity. Oh…am I’m not even going into detail about having hair grow in areas that I meticulously attempt to keep high and tight.

Some people have to grow up; others need to be reigned in and yes others should leave. It is, after all, a fact of natural attrition. Personal attacks are not pretty, very petty and we, as users of this site, should police the occasions when enough is enough. The Mods can’t be everywhere all the time. The one constraint that is not applied often enough is to not bite back with an unwanted comment. A simple “thank you for your opinion” would suffice to quail any back and forth. Even better, completely ignore it. As a reader it’s funny, as a recipient it would be irritating, as a member that wants the forum to persevere, it’s sad. The truth is that it seems to becoming more apparent.

Cha-ching - there goes two cents.

I agree with you on all your points. I don't want to be that person that offends. I have held back in most cases except for this weekend when I was VERY offended about a term. I dont want to go back there. Maybe I was over sensative. Maybe I should not have taken the bait. I LOVE that term. I agree with that. That is in my belief system. I took the bait this weekend. I work MY ASS off to become the best photographer I can be. I surf the net and take critiques VERY seriously and YES I do joke around. That does not make me any less of a Photographer. I work hard and I dont just wait for answers I get them myself.. LOVE google and Strobist and many others reccomended by people here.
Lets all just hug each other and think happy thoughts.

Silence, less-than-1k-poster!!!!!!!!!!! Were you granted permission to speak? And where are the gifts you are to bear when addressing us??

(Umm, ignore the lady behind the curtain :blushing: )

and to think... I didn't even notice myself getting out of line :hail:

the amount of squabbles on here over the last year has gone throught the roof. Maybe somebody's putting something in the TPF water?

Some people do seem to take offence to the most unlikely comments, while others do their best to seek as much attention as they can by posting delibratly provocative comments.

Having said that, they make for some of the more entertaining threads. It's like slowing down to look at a car accident, if you know what i mean. You don't want to see anything, but you can't help but look

If someone on here posts stuff you take exception to, or you find stupid or just plain annoys you then use the Buddy List option in your User CP. Put the person in the Ignore column - then their posts are hidden from you and, even better than that, they can't PM you.
Works for me.

Now I wonder what Avis would have said...
But what HERTZ says is wise!
There IS the chance to simply ignore people who rub you the wrong way. Why don't you?

If someone on here posts stuff you take exception to, or you find stupid or just plain annoys you then use the Buddy List option in your User CP. Put the person in the Ignore column - then their posts are hidden from you and, even better than that, they can't PM you.
Works for me.
Thanks! I was wondering if this service existed in this software.

It probably isn't worth pointing out that 'offensively sexist' is not the same as 'sexually offensive', but I will do anyway.
Yeah thanks Helen :banghead: <<<--It's probably worth pointing out to you that this icon is a metaphor for the frustration that I feel when reading your posts lately. It depicts a man banging his head against a wall to numb the pain on the inside.

In the mean time...
I've had a nice conversation with Lol999 about leaving and it's not what was said but more to the fact that he was getting these thick stupid private messages. He didn't leave from having thin skin about what was written to him but rather the frustration of dealing with thin skinned people sending such PMs that leave him thinking "am I surrounded by hyper sensitive twats? Do I have to think twice about every word I use?". He has no interest in staying with a group were walking on eggshells is a must to be politicly correct. I liked his handbag joke. I thought it was very light humour and couldn't possibly have imagined somebody being offended by it. We're all (mostly) mature adults here right? I certainly couldn't see someone going to the trouble of getting on his case about it but alas there's always one willing to nit-pick the carp out of things so thanks for correcting me again Helen.

Mostly I agree with him that these mouth piece PMs are annoying (I won't soften that choice of words) but I wouldn't leave a group of great members because of them. I rather deal with a few hyper touchy people that have lost the plot rather than stiffle a few chuckles and good time vibes, but there again I think Europeans and Americans will clash because Europeans are used to a greater sense of freedom and not concerned with being sued (or national security) on a daily basis. We are not being threatened in any way on a daily basis. People are a lot more relaxed in the EU about a poke in the ribs and a little tease and make a little extra effort to understand the humour rather than to start wagging the finger at every occasion that could be potentially offensive. In fairness to the USA though we're also not concerned with being shot on the spot either if it get's out of hand.

"Handbag swinging session" = offensive in any way?! Helen Get Real and stop bugging people with such nonsense. It seems you have good photographic experiences to share. I think you're better respected for that.

Most reactions

Back