That Magical Light

nerwin

Been spending a lot of time on here!
Reaction score
Website
nickerwin.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Yesterday we got some snow! Probably 3-4" of that really light and fluffy snow and this morning sunrise was beautiful and it was creating some incredible light so I decided to go outside and try to get some shots before it's all gone as it's suppose to be about 50 degrees today.

Anyways I was trying to use light to create something interesting and I saw this dried up decaying plant that would otherwise be uninteresting but the way the light was this morning, it was just lit up different and made it, at least to me, more interesting. As I went to go and take the shot, the wind blew just enough to blow off some of the snow from the trees above me which created this rather "magical" background with the sunlight lighting up the snowflakes.

Nikon D610 + 70-200 f/4 VR @ 200mm
1/640th, f/5.6, ISO 100

I've been kind of cooped up the last few days from changing of the season and so it was nice to get out and take some shots even if they are not perfect. It was big mood enhancer for me. I even picked up some new gloves that I can wear when I go out shooting and they work quite well, so hopefully...this will encourage me to get outside this winter and take some shots!

Last edited:
Nice catch. Sometimes the difference of a mere second changes everything

Really LOVE this shot. Definitely magical.

Lovely. I can't decide if the thing in the middle/lower left is adding or detracting. Is it the hubcap of a sparewheel?

Last edited:
Cool, do share a link to gloves

I like it !

Cool, do share a link to gloves

Great light! I often have to remind myself that light is more important than subject matter in many cases.

But definitely share a link to the gloves! Finding gloves i feel comfortable shooting with is near impossible.

These are the gloves I bought.

Men's Tek Gear®® WarmTek Stretch Touchscreen Gloves

Yes, they are cheap but they do work for me. Just enough to keep my hands from getting so cold to the point I can't feel them anymore. Now they won't last for hours, but I was outside this morning in about 15 degrees for about hour and half and I was comfortable shooting. I love the fact it has rubber grip which helps to prevent you from dropping your camera.

The other neat thing is the pointer fingertip and thumb tip is stripped of the rubber grip for use with touch screens and I find that helps when pressing buttons, especially the shutter button. If you have a camera with a touch screen, then you won't have to remove your gloves.

For the price, you cannot go wrong to give it a try! Better than spending an arm and a leg for North Face or some fancy gloves designed for photographers which usually cost $50-100.

I like it! Often something very simple, done correctly, makes a very compelling photo ......... something I wish I was better at in the field.

I keep telling the wife that the old adage " less is more " is a very inciteful way to live. Your photo proves me right!

Most reactions

Back