% that make a profession of photog after college

sarallyn

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I'm seriously considering going to an art school for photography.
I would really like to know, though -- how many people make a living of photography after graduation (from a photography (B) major)?

I'm looking specifically at this school, btw; http://www.meca.edu/home.aspx

I can't answer that...but you might also want to consider successful photographers and ask how many of them have a photography degree. Photography isn't like being a doctor, lawyer or engineer...it's not essential that you have the qualifications.

That being said, knowledge is probably the best tool and education is the way to get knowledge.

Don't do it. Go to a regular college that offers a photo degree. I paid out of the butt to go to Brooks Institute and I regret every penny I spent on that school, especially considering my friend went to Sac state and got the same photo education for a fraction of the cost.

Also, most specialized art schools that say they are accredited aren't accredited in the same way a real college is. Brooks for example; after I finished all the general ed courses, say i decided I'd rather go in to law so I transfer to UCLA, not a single GE course credit would have transferred over because many tech schools aren't really accredited.

Oh, and to answer your question, I do make my living out of photography. I'm a photojournalist and work for a studio occasionally. I use to work at the studio full time but I hated it and it wasn't helping me advance in photojournalism. And like Mike said, the photo world is more concerned about your portfolio and real world experience, not a degree. I got hired at as a newspaper photog when I was only 19, a year before I even went to school.

I'm was an educator in Japan for a number of years but for CG art and not photography. I dunno exactly what the percentages are for either one but I bet it's somewhere around 5% or so. Less than 10% anyway - a year after graduation. I keep my finger on the pulse of the CG industry in the US and UK too so that's a West+Japan guesstimate. I guess it's about the same for photography.

Here's a picture of one school I taught at:

My_School_sm.jpg

Last edited:
I'm seventeen right now...

I would really want to go to school to get a photography education. I know it's not necessary, but I need the knowledge. I was thinking strictly art schools, but now that you said something, I'm looking into other schools, too.

For experience -- what would qualify as experience? Working in a studio, or just working on your own? I'm actually trying to get some experience right now (I'm offering photo sessions for $50).

Holy jesus, Bifurcator -- that school is crazy.
and 5%? yikes...

Yeah. That's just an art school BTW. ;)

And yeah, only about 5 or 10% but that's after 1 year or so. I personally placed about 30% every year as part of my job (on my own) and another 25 or 30% were placed through the school or set up on their own independently. After one year that 60% was less than ten - I'm pretty sure. I could be wrong too though. :D

EDIT:
Also I agree with Hooligan Dan. We don't charge much ~$4,500 a year and we're accredited. But if it's one of those high dollar prestige places and/or not accredited with transferable course hours it's a bogus deal IMO. There's several CG schools like that for CG artists such as The Dave School that charges like $40K or $50K. It's one of the better schools but only because so many of the instructors have deep ties to various CG companies. So if you do go with an "art school" check out what kind of support programs they offer their graduates.

Last edited:
You would be better to take a business degree and learn photography on the side.
If you get tired of photography, you can fall back on the Business Deg, if not you can use it to start your business.

You would be better to take a business degree and learn photography on the side.
If you get tired of photography, you can fall back on the Business Deg, if not you can use it to start your business.

that's exactly what I was thinking a few minutes ago. it would be nice to go to a school that offers business and photography. I know champlain offers a VERY good business program (you start your business freshman year), I'll have to see what they have for photography.
I've always been interested in business, but I also knew it's a tough field.

Bifurcator - how many years do you offer? I'm looking at 4 year schools.

it would be nice to go to a school that offers business and photography.

Any "good" art school should include a few business and business law courses.

Bifurcator - how many years do you offer? I'm looking at 4 year schools.

The school in the photo is a 3 year college but I also taught at several Universities. This is all in Japan though. :D If you came here to study you would need at least a year of cramming to get enough language skills in order to get anything out of it.

Any "good" art school should include a few business and business law courses.

Yes, you're completely right.

The school in the photo is a 3 year college but I also taught at several Universities. This is all in Japan though. :D If you came here to study you would need at least a year of cramming to get enough language skills in order to get anything out of it.

Haha, I don't think I could master the language of Japanese in a year.

So, after 3 years of photography, about what percent go on to being a professional photographer?

Years ago I went to the School of Visual Arts in NYC and got my Bachelor degree (4 years). It was one of the best things I ever did in my life. All the teachers at S.V.A are working professionals. They generally keep you on track so that you are not disconnected from the field you are entering. The main thing is to be in an art environment with other artists. This really, really helps you grow as a photographer. Business and marketing classes are a good idea but a lot of it is common sense, so I would not concentrate on it too much.

Photography has been my life since then. Aside from my current situation I have made a decent living. Your approach is fully up to you.

Love & Bass

if I decided to only get an associated in business instead of bachelor's, transferring there would be a definite possibility.
i'm looking into the school right now.

So, after 3 years of photography, about what percent go on to being a professional photographer?
I'd say that it's probably at most %5 but I can't tell you for sure. I do know that these days a lot of kids are getting into photography via digital cameras and thinking they want to make a living at it because it seems easy. Many of them never make it through college.

Years ago I went to the School of Visual Arts in NYC and got my Bachelor degree (4 years). It was one of the best things I ever did in my life. All the teachers at S.V.A are working professionals. They generally keep you on track so that you are not disconnected from the field you are entering. The main thing is to be in an art environment with other artists. This really, really helps you grow as a photographer. Business and marketing classes are a good idea but a lot of it is common sense, so I would not concentrate on it too much.

Photography has been my life since then. Aside from my current situation I have made a decent living. Your approach is fully up to you.

Love & Bass
I almost went to SVA, but I could not afford it. Hearing you say you liked it so much makes me kind of regret that I didn't try harder to get the money. Being taught by faculty whom currently work in the field seems to make a huge difference.

Myself, I'm currently finishing up a Bachelors of Science in Photography with a minor in business. Personally I really like the BS program over the BFA one because you spend more time doing photography and applying it to a career rather than fine art. If you can find a school that offers a BS in Photo I'd recommend seriously considering it but as I said before the faculty there will make all the difference in how much you actually learn. I wouldn't recommend a BFA over a degree in business though. Either way, get a background in business because being the best photographer will do no good if you can't run your business.

Your signature is incredibly annoying...
Animated and huge!

Most reactions

Back