That thread I promised...

Eightball Walker

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
So XMetal got it started with the cars, which I tried, and here I see jocose has also tried. Seeing his photos made me want to try mine again but it's cold and dark and late late in the night, so I came up with this...

cd023ub.jpg

cd015ga.jpg

cd033cq.jpg

That's awesome. I wanted to try again, but I'm really not into cars (sorry xmetal :) ), so, thanks for some other great ideas! It was raining today, so I didn't bring my camera to work, but I've already got some ideas that I want to try!

Good job on the PSing, BTW!

:) I'm a genious! I took these quick, maybe if I ever finish this damn thing I'll take some really nice ones...

corvettemodelfade1sy.jpg

sorry, dude...noobs aren't allowed to know...it's all part of the initiation into the second level of photography.

I'm just teasing. It's actually, pretty easy. Just find the shot (let's use 8Ball's idea as the example).

Set everything up the way you want it. So, get your lighting on your diskman exactly how you want it. Mount your camera to a tripod, or use (as I do sometimes) some other improvised stability device. Take 2 shots of the discman...one with the top open and one with it closed.

Now, bring those pics into photoshop (or whatever program you use). Next, bring the one image over into the other image (it should create a second layer). Using your favorite technique (if you don't have one, post again and we can go through that), highlight only what you want visible in the "see-thru." In this case, grab 1/2 the disc from the open-top shot. I use a pretty high feather (like 40 ish). Copy that to a new layer and bring it to the top. Hide or delete the layer you just copied from (ie, the open-top pic). Make sure you're in the layer of what you want to come through (again, in this case the disc), and play with the opacity until you get the effect you like.

Hope that makes sense. If not, let me know and I'll try again.

Oh, and never worry about bumping old threads...some of us like to see our stuff return from the dead :mrgreen:

And finally, when you've done one of these...go to the photo themes forum off the main list and post in the see-thru thread! (http://www.thephotoforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=40028)

jocose said:
Oh, and never worry about bumping old threads...some of us like to see our stuff return from the dead :mrgreen:
Yeah, especially since no one commented the first time around. :grumpy:

I prefer the 'erase' tool in Photoshop, you can make the brush the right size with the right amount being erased. The one with the batteries took three pics and was a hell of a lot more complicated (I don't know why :( )maybe I took some drugs that night or something. Just remember not to move the camera or the subject, this will make it much easier when you edit.

I was a master at improvised stability devices over the summer, I had no tripod so I used anything and everything. And nice job dealin' with a n00b, reminds me of doing stuff to the new guy at work.:lol:

Eightball Walker said:
Yeah, especially since no one commented the first time around. :grumpy:

I prefer the 'erase' tool in Photoshop, you can make the brush the right size with the right amount being erased. The one with the batteries took three pics and was a hell of a lot more complicated (I don't know why :( )maybe I took some drugs that night or something. Just remember not to move the camera or the subject, this will make it much easier when you edit.

I was a master at improvised stability devices over the summer, I had no tripod so I used anything and everything. And nice job dealin' with a n00b, reminds me of doing stuff to the new guy at work.:lol:

Hey, JM and I commented on the pics. Personally, I like the CD Player better than the car model...but that's just me.

I think the best improvised stability device I've used so far was 3 beer glasses at a local bar...hmm, I think I'm gonna post a thread to see what others have done as well...thanks!

I think my finest was a cinder block half stuck in the mud on the edge of a pond to get a sweet night shot...there's also the various times I used my lens cap and a stack of change...

thanks guys , dam i hate being FNG lol

but the PS end of things is the hardest part for me since i havent used anyting for a lon time
but ill try what you posted above (layers kinda escape me abit but i know what they are )

machine said:
thanks guys , dam i hate being FNG lol

but the PS end of things is the hardest part for me since i havent used anyting for a lon time
but ill try what you posted above (layers kinda escape me abit but i know what they are )

Machine,

what does FNG mean? "F'ing New Guy"?

Click on the link I put up above...8Ball posted a very nice tutorial.

PM me if you need any help.

machine said:
lol yes it does , and thanks again

My pleasure...that's the point of The PhotoForum. If I wasn't willing to tell you how I did sometihng, no one would want to tell me how they did something, you know?

Anyway, keep posting and keep asking questions.

Most reactions

Back