The 50mm f1.8

passerby

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
So here it is the 50mm f1.8 that I have heard so much - finally on my nikon d40. I paid this lens purely just for the sake of curiousity. I just recieve it 10 minutes ago an I have tried few shots.
I was hoping this lens arrived earlier so I can test it at the easter show, but it does not matter now.

Focusing.
No auto focusing here, my left fingers do all this super exhausting work designed for the slaves in the medieval era.

Metering.
It works exactly the same as with the kit lens, perfect.

Aperture.
F1.8 - F22, the narrowest

Speed.
Insane. With f1.8 indoor the slowest SS I used was 1/80 on ISO 400. I get used to shooting with 1/8 of a second every now and then, so anything above 1/30 will put me in heaven.
I shoot outside and it is cloudy day, the 1/4000 of a second with f1.8 end up with over exposed picture. Since the max SS is 1/4000 I slowed the aperture to f2.2 and still too bright. When I reduced the ISO to 200 than it is just about right. But I shoot mostly with f8 or slower anyway.

Origin.
Made in China, pretty much like everything else these days except your mother. If we let the American to do these kind of producing job maybe we still playing marbles on the floor.

Build Quality.
It's a lens that that take pictures - nothing more. And that is what I like, small and light. I did not send the money to buy a hammer mind you. The smaller and the lighter the lens - the better, guaranty cheaper in price.

Image quality / sharpness.
Don't know yet.

So there you go, I have this lens now, no more confusing hear say. What you see is what you get.

Congrats on not being a sissy. :mrgreen:

Here's two I took at a restaurant over the weekend with my f/1.4 version.

@ f/2.8, 1/25s, iso800
@ f/1.4, 1/60s, iso800

Yes, on my D40. This one "won't work" on the D40 either. :)

Hopefully after finish work today I can have a go with this lens, oh man I am so eager to see the result, and it is better be - better than the kit lens.

Anyway I had a wish. If this lens in this size is a zoom lens, say an 18-200mm but with this f1.8 constant aperture, I thought that would be very nice. Just a wishful thinking though.

Alright I will be back with this one later on, whenever.

ive heard the 50mm 1.8 was a good portrait lens. i think my gf is buyin me one for my birthday

50mm f/1.8 does not autofocus for Nikon?

That sucks :(

Congrats on not being a sissy. :mrgreen:

Here's two I took at a restaurant over the weekend with my f/1.4 version.

@ f/2.8, 1/25s, iso800
@ f/1.4, 1/60s, iso800

Yes, on my D40. This one "won't work" on the D40 either. :)

Nice shots. It shows that if all you have to shoot is a still book, then you don't need AF. You're right... who needs AF?

Nice shots. It shows that if all you have to shoot is a still book, then you don't need AF. You're right... who needs AF?
...apparently some people REQUIRE AF absolutely to even consider putting a lens on their camera, even if the situation has no real demand for it. It's amazing that people took amazing photos for decades without autofocus! How did they do it? :mrgreen:

...apparently some people REQUIRE AF absolutely to even consider putting a lens on their camera, even if the situation has no real demand for it. It's amazing that people took amazing photos for decades without autofocus! How did they do it? :mrgreen:

New technology leads to new demands, and new demands lead to new competition.

It's funny, I used a manual focus for years but now I am having a hard time using it on my new DSLR due to the fact that the focus ring only turns 1/4 turn at full lock. This makes for VERY delicate focussing and with my sausage fingers it is not the easiest thing in the world...

I don't NEED AF, but I find the viewfinder leaves a LOT to be desired on my Canon XTI when it comes to Manual focus. On SLR's you have the handy circle thing (sorry, have no idea what it's called) that shows you how true your focus is. With my canon...zip!

How do other people feel about their DSLR view finders for Manual?

Most reactions

Back