The Air Forces Memorial, Runnymede. Lots of pictures

Discussion in 'Photojournalism & Sports Gallery' started by Davec223, Oct 13, 2007.

1. Davec223

Davec223 TPF Noob!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos OK to edit
    Hi

The following pictures were taken at The Air Forces Memorial, Runnymede. This is just outside London near Windsor Berkshire. There are over 20,000 names on the walls of the building which I found to be very emotional to look at. ( I must confess to shedding a few tears while I was there.) Many of those who died and are remembered here and on memorials alll round the world were lost without trace and there graves are unknown.

The Memorial was designed by Sir Edward Maufe and the land where it stands was donated by Sir Eugen and Lady Effie Millington-Drake.

The memorial consists of a shrine that is embraced by a cloister in which the names of the dead are recorded. These are grouped by the year that they died. The coat of arms of the Commonwealth countries are painted on the Cloister ceilings

The Cloisters have curved wings that finish in 2 lookouts.

Engraved on the Great north window of the shrine are words from the Airmans Psalm ( Psalm 139)

If I climb up into Heaven, Thou art there:
    If I go to hell, Thou art there also.
    If I take the wings of the morning
    And remain in the uttermost parts of the sea,
    Even there also shall Thy hand lead me:
    And Thy right hand shall hold me

Above the Angels flanking the text are engraved vapour trails taken from pictures of the Battle of Britain. The design is by John Hutton who is also responsible for the painted ceilings in the Shrine and lookouts.

From the Shrine there are 2 spiral staircases that lead to a gallery, where on a window engraved is a poem by a student by the name of Paul H Scott, which he wrote soon after the completion of the Memorial.

From the Gallery another staircase leads up to the roof of the tower which has an Astral crown of Blue and Gold mounted on it.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

My thoughts go out to all the Families of the men and women who lost love ones. Without these brabe men and women we would not be free today

Regards

Dave

2. just x joey

just x joey TPF Noob!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos NOT OK to edit
    nice, if the sky wasn't blown out these would be better.