The Art of Critique

icassell

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I just thought I'd share a link which was on another site I enjoy ...

Nature Photography

Oh very interesting. Particularly interesting to see both the similarities and differences from "The Pact". Most notably that saying "oh wow!" is actually ok.

Hm.

A good overview and I find that I agree with much that is being said in the article. Everyone should read it - especially

"Begin the written critique with what you like about the image. It is a mistaken belief that a photo critique should only point out what is wrong. In fact, as much can be gained by pointing out what it is that appeals to the viewer."

^^ that part!

Yes, people lose sight of the fact that critique has both positive and negative components. Also, for those who aren't familiar with it, there are some amazing images on that site.

Excellent link, icassell. I especially like the 2nd paragraph under "The Poster's Responsibility" talking about being prepared for positive and negative, and not debating the validity of someone's critique.

They summed it up nicely with, "if the person who posts the image is not prepared to accept the results (both good and bad) of the 'poll,' they should not post it in the first place!"

That is a good link, thanks for sharing.

Personally, I don't go out of my way to point out positives, just as I don't the negatives. I look at the image, and whatever hits me is what I post, which can be both positive or negative.

If I have the time, I'll try and break down the image more and point out other things that strike me after more viewing time.

I would totally disagree with that view of critique. It is NOT personal opinion and that element should be kept out of critique as much as possible.

It suppose the mistake of viewing critique as personal opinion is understandable for anyone who does not have an extensive background in either teaching or judging and being judged in professional competitions based on critique. The fact that a consensus is often easily reached by judges rather confirms the level of objectivity in critique when used by professionals.

skieur

I would totally disagree with that view of critique. It is NOT personal opinion and that element should be kept out of critique as much as possible.

It suppose the mistake of viewing critique as personal opinion is understandable for anyone who does not have an extensive background in either teaching or judging and being judged in professional competitions based on critique. The fact that a consensus is often easily reached by judges rather confirms the level of objectivity in critique when used by professionals.

skieur

I have to disagree with you to some extent. I agree that there are technical standards that should be met. Good judges can easily agree on these. This does not allow for the art. Evaluation of art can NOT be objective, or we could say that the human element in an artist is unnecessary. Good critique looks at both sides ... the technical and the artistic.

A good overview and I find that I agree with much that is being said in the article. Everyone should read it - especially

"Begin the written critique with what you like about the image. It is a mistaken belief that a photo critique should only point out what is wrong. In fact, as much can be gained by pointing out what it is that appeals to the viewer."

^^ that part!

I usually start off with what I dislike, so that I can end with a positive note of what I enjoy the most.

I disagree with that in a way. :)

I start off with what is "wrong" in my eyes and always end with what I see as good or complimentary.

Always ending on a positive note is what will leave the strongest lasting feel... and leave the person in a more pleasant state of mind rather than the negative.

I suspect its depends on your style of writing - there are two possible limitations with started with the negative aspects on an online environment (this is especailly true I feel for weaker images).

1) A negative start can mar your thinking process and writing style - there is a chance that you will carry over this into the very end and in some cases maybe even goss over or forget the posetive part (this being the case if you have a long replay to write)

2) A long negative block of text followed by a short bit on compliments can make it seem that your not really giving much of a compliment and instead just tagging it on the end as a formality - and that infact the big block of negative is your full and only view on the image.

I just write how I feel about it.

I don't have a laid out method, and I don't want one. So long as I do well avoiding 'Eh, looks OK' comments that make the original poster feeling robbed of info then I feel any input is better than none.

I just generally disagree with everything anyone said. And anyone who disagrees with me is a gigantic fart knocker!

Most reactions

Back