The Art of Critique

I would totally disagree with that view of critique. It is NOT personal opinion and that element should be kept out of critique as much as possible.

It suppose the mistake of viewing critique as personal opinion is understandable for anyone who does not have an extensive background in either teaching or judging and being judged in professional competitions based on critique. The fact that a consensus is often easily reached by judges rather confirms the level of objectivity in critique when used by professionals.

skieur

I have to disagree with you to some extent. I agree that there are technical standards that should be met. Good judges can easily agree on these. This does not allow for the art. Evaluation of art can NOT be objective, or we could say that the human element in an artist is unnecessary. Good critique looks at both sides ... the technical and the artistic.

Actually, they agree on the artistic side as well, since the elements of design and composition represent 50% of the critique process and those elements are basic and delineated very clearly and specifically. You might say there are 3 possible scenarios using the rule of thirds as an example:

1. The "rule" is followed and it contributes to the centre of interest and the visual effectiveness of the image.

2. The "rule" is not followed but it is a minor weakness, in view of other strong artistic elements and guidelines followed in the image.

3. The "rule" is not followed and it is a major weakness when combined with a weak centre of interest and/or other artistic deficiencies.

Now to a beginner, it may still sound like personal opinion, but if you have seen thousands of photos and hundreds of excellent quality, if you have had your own work judged by prominent experts, if you have studied art, if you have had to learn the criteria in order to be a judge, or accept submissions to a publication or gallery, then you will discover that it really IS NOT personal opinion. When you are working with other prominent and professional judges, you would be surprised at how fast a consensus can happen on which are the best photos. The same is true in other fields as well. Critique is a form of evaluation and no field becomes in any manner "professional" in nature until the evaluation/critique process becomes as objective as possible.

skieur

I would totally disagree with that view of critique. It is NOT personal opinion and that element should be kept out of critique as much as possible.

It suppose the mistake of viewing critique as personal opinion is understandable for anyone who does not have an extensive background in either teaching or judging and being judged in professional competitions based on critique. The fact that a consensus is often easily reached by judges rather confirms the level of objectivity in critique when used by professionals.

skieur

I have to disagree with you to some extent. I agree that there are technical standards that should be met. Good judges can easily agree on these. This does not allow for the art. Evaluation of art can NOT be objective, or we could say that the human element in an artist is unnecessary. Good critique looks at both sides ... the technical and the artistic.

Actually, they agree on the artistic side as well, since the elements of design and composition represent 50% of the critique process and those elements are basic and delineated very clearly and specifically. You might say there are 3 possible scenarios using the rule of thirds as an example:

1. The "rule" is followed and it contributes to the centre of interest and the visual effectiveness of the image.

2. The "rule" is not followed but it is a minor weakness, in view of other strong artistic elements and guidelines followed in the image.

3. The "rule" is not followed and it is a major weakness when combined with a weak centre of interest and/or other artistic deficiencies.

skieur

I would suggest an option 4.

The "rule" is not followed and it is not a weakness in view of other strong artistic elements and guidelines followed in the image.

I have seen enough judging (artistic -- both visual and written, and athletic) to have seen many cases where winners did not follow "rules". Truthfully, controversy often surrounded these.

Be that as it may ... Use critique as you will, but there are many out there (including myself) who believe it should contain a subjective component.

Most reactions

Back