The art of Seeing!

Discussion in 'Beyond the Basics' started by danalec99, Feb 11, 2005.

1. danalec99

danalec99 TPF Noob!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos NOT OK to edit
    Do you really need the viewfinder to 'see'?

OR

can you 'see' the final print without the viewfinder?

2. Artemis

Artemis Just Punked Himself

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Umm...Im really confused by what you mean...but if I do get what you mean...thats how I do all my shots...

3. danalec99

danalec99 TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Sorry Arti... what I meant to ask is, do you compose a particular frame through the viewfinder OR you see it with your bare eyes?
    For me, I spot a potential frame initially; but I need the viewfinder for the final composition. I have heard about people saying they see the final picture when they initially spot the frame.

Am I being clear? :scratch:

4. KevinR

KevinR TPF Noob!

Clear to me.

I see the initial image first. I have a good idea how I am going to compose the image before looking through the viewfinder. I will then tweak the image. Decide if horz or vert or tighten in etc.

5. terri

terri Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Photos NOT OK to edit
    More often than not, I "see" the image I am after and then go about composing it. Are you referring to "visualization"? :)

I can't say it happens all the time - there are times I think I "see" something and then can't quite get what I'm after in camera - so when it does work for me, it's a thrill. :D

6. Alison

Alison Swiss Army Friend Supporting Member

Photos OK to edit
    I would say that most of the time I see the final image before I look through the viewfinder. I tend to mentally compose whether I have the camera with me or not :mrgreen:

7. danalec99

danalec99 TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Visualization could be the term. :) Thanks Terri!

I am comfortable with composing and recomposing thru the vf. It does not mean that I do not visualize the frame beforehand. I do, but I need the vf for the fine tuning.

8. ksmattfish

ksmattfish Now 100% DC - not as cool as I once was, but still

Photos NOT OK to edit
    I use some cameras that either don't have a viewfinder or the viewfinder isn't very accurate. I'm a big fan of viewfinders in general, but I'm not afraid to go without.

I once heard a story about a student of Garry Winogrand asking him about shooting from the hip, and Winogrand lectured him that the viewfinder was vital.

I think it's possible to learn what a certain lens is going to see; maybe not 100% accurate, but good enough for many subjects.

9. photong

photong Typo Queen

Photos NOT OK to edit
    I use my eyes to compose (if I can move whatever it is) it then the viewfinder to frame with and put final touches on it. If I cant move it I'm pretty much using the view finder to find out where and what's best. But I do use my eyes and viewfinder to see if there's anything I can use to my advantage (like trees to frame a subject).

"I think it's possible to learn what a certain lens is going to see; maybe not 100% accurate, but good enough for many subjects."

There's also something...i cant remember exactly...gr, i can only remember half and it might not even be right. With an SLR what you see if what you get (or dont???) but with a ??? what you see isn't what you get (or do??). Does that make sence? yabe the other is digital, or a rangefinder or some toher type of camera or format...maybe it's TLR in general....who knows.

10. Hertz van Rental

Hertz van Rental TPF Noob!

Depends upon what I am doing. Taking photographs is quite a complex activity and looking through the viewfinder is just one part of what goes on in your head.
    Sometimes I actually sit down and draw the idea, using a sketchpad to work out a lot of problems before constructing the image through the camera. But then I trained in Advertising photography, which is far more controlled.
    As with so many other things in Photography - you do what works best for you.

11. doxx

doxx TPF Noob!

I photograph a lot without using the viewfinder,
    visualizing what gets in the frame... either from
    the hip or at waistlevel, being as unconspicious
    as possible... people just don't realize that I
    photograph 'em - especially on the subway
    (thinking of photography ban and all...)

12. Canon Fan

Canon Fan TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    I am usually a very mentally visual person. 9 times out of 10 I know EXACTLY what I want ahead of time. Sometimes even before I arrive at the destination but this only seems to work with inatomate objects for me, with people or living things I need the viewfinder :scratch:

I am finding out quickly though no matter how well I have it planned in my head before hand the viewfinder on my TLR screws with that vision pretty badly being backwards and all :confused: