limr

Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Website
moderndinosaur.wordpress.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
So, I bought a bunch of rolls of Arista EDU 120 from Freestyle, which is essentially Fomapan. I hadn't had much luck with it - it was okay, but nothing to really write home about. It might have been, however, that it just doesn't play nice with my Lubitel.

This past weekend, I finally got to work on my developing backlog and first up were the four rolls of Foma, three of which were shot in the Lubitel. A silly mistake in making the Caffenol meant the first two rolls were super foggy and yielded nothing usable. I fixed the developer problem and souped a third roll. The negatives looked much better, but still scanned terribly - very grainy, muddy tones, and it's clear that Luby is scratching the hell out of the film. She's been known to leave a scratch or two on other films, but Foma is pretty soft and it looked like it was mauled. There were some pictures that could have been really nice otherwise :(

I thought it was time to give up on Fomapan for good.

But then I started scanning the roll I shot in the Yashica D. They were SO much better! Better contrast and midtones, no scratches. This had the effect of making me reconsider my dismissal of Fomapan, but it also made me realize that I'm starting to really love this Yashica. This is only the third roll I've put through it, and I've been more impressed with each roll.

rs The Assassins
by limrodrigues, on Flickr

(Yes, I've tried a different crop of this to get some of that shadow in the foreground. Looks decent as an 8x10, but that's not accessible at the moment.)

rs Ballet

rs Hay

I had to bump the contrast on this one, but only by a tiny bit.

rs Greenhouse

Good thread title. lol Love the one of the ballet shoes.

I think you should use "La Chica D" more.

Don't use the naughty Lubitel.

I think you should use "La Chica D" more.

Don't use the naughty Lubitel.

It has been suggested to me that perhaps Czech film in a Russian camera would cause a conflict ;)

The Yashikor lens was not that bad, we had the A for a while, then I got a MAT ... the lens slightly improved with the Yashinon (came out a little while after the D). If you want a great TLR, try looking for a cheap Minolta Autocord (any model) or the Ricoh 225 ... which I think are the next best thing to a Rolleiflex.
So far I have not been happy with IQ from Russian lenses ... though I have not had the opportunity to try that many.

Love the Rocks in Distance (2) -- it reminds me of an old ViewMaster image.

Lovely results! You'll be panting after a Rolleiflex with a Planar lens in no time. ;)

Love the Rocks in Distance (2) -- it reminds me of an old ViewMaster image.

Thanks, Charlie! I never thought of that but now that you say it, it's totally right - it's like a ViewMaster shot!

Lovely results! You'll be panting after a Rolleiflex with a Planar lens in no time. ;)

No doubt! Might have to steal Buzz's Rolleiflex for a few rolls *evil laugh*

Love he ballet shoes, and the last two. I love film images.

Most reactions

Back