The attack on Pearl Harbor was 68 years ago

dtzitko

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
web.me.com
December 7, 1941. Remember those that were there that day.

Pearl Harbor Images

h86118.jpg

My uncle remembers the bombers and zero's flying over his house that morning as they were getting ready for church. Ive touched the bullet holes that remain in some of the buildings there at Hickam AFB.
Its amazing how many dont even know the significance of this day, I know because Ive asked around.

A few years ago, we were actually ON the Arizona Memorial on a December 07. There were a lot of people there with us, and a pretty large percentage of them were Japanese (least they looked like it), and I kinda felt that that in itself was kinda disrepectful.

There were a good number of them, speaking in Japanese, all laughing and having fun, joking amongst themselves, and it was really irritating some of the others, including some war veterans that were there. You can tell them by how they dress, pins on shirts, hats, banners, etc,

When I had all I could take of it, just couldn't take no more, I spoke these two words out loudly so everyone could hear - "Hiroshima!", "Nagasaki!"

After that, they got real quiet, told their kids to shoosh, didn't hear anything else from them after that, seems they got the point.

May have been rude, but I just couldn't stop myself.

Before I could get to my car, there must have been 25-30 different people come up to me to say "thank you", or smile softly, nod, or shake my hand, or somehow indicate to me some kind of positive response.

One older veteran on a walker motioned for me to come to over to him, shook my hand, told me "Thank you, young man" with tears in his eyes, saying that their actions were tearing him up inside because he lost friends on that day.

I will never forget that, I think about it every December 07.

Last edited:
I need to dig around some old boxes, but I have prints of the oil that still surfaces from the Arizona. Visiting that memorial was a definately a sobering experience.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back