The B mode?

Jedi Knight

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Hi, I'm new to this site and photography so I apoligize if I sound like a total idiot. I got a Sigma SA-7 film camera a couple months ago. It has a bulb setting but no cable release. I couldn't figure out a way how to use it. I was under thhe impression that to take a picture in B mode, I'd have to use a cable release to prevent camera shake that could occur if I just kept pressing the shutter release. What should I do? Thank you for your time & info..

The Sigma SA-7 uses an infra-red remote instead of a cable release. You can also use the self timer.

I was planning on shooting a night traffic scene with a 30 sec. exposure (camera mounted on a tripod). But with the self timer I couldn't get a longer exposure than 4 sec. (the slowest shutter speed on the camera-) Does the remote compensate for the cable release? Also how do you use the self- timer at the bulb setting?
Thank you so much for helping me out!

Ah, right, self-timer won't work with bulb.

I don't have a Sigma camera, but I imagine that the IR remote works just like a cable release; you can probably lock the shutter open for as long as the camera battery will hold out. Check out the Sigma site for more info.

I e-mailed them. They suggested that I cover the lens with a black opaque cloth then depress the shutter and keep it depressed with an object and rubber band. After the exposure, cover the lens again with the cloth, then remove the rubber band closing the shutter. Have you ever tried this ? I don't have a remote yet so I'll see how it goes..
Thank you for your time I really appreciate it.

Jedi Knight said:
what kind of fabric would you suggest?

It would need to be black and thick, like a wool or even felt. Fabric that is too thin would allow light leaks. The thing to do would be to go to a fabric shop and look around for something thick, but also soft and supple enough to be easy to fold into the area it needs to get into.

I've never tried it, but if you're careful about applying and removing the lens covering, it should work fine to eliminate camera shake.

"They suggested that I cover the lens with a black opaque cloth then depress the shutter and keep it depressed with an object and rubber band. After the exposure, cover the lens again with the cloth, then remove the rubber band closing the shutter."

You gotta be kidding me. I'd write them again and see if their camera designer would come and hold the button. I mean, I've done this before with pre 1950s cameras, but it's 2003 for gosh sakes. Sigma should just stick to lenses apparently. Anyway they'd give you a refund? I bet if you ***** enough they would.

You can buy a device that will velcro around your camera over the shutter release, and has a cable release thread in the button. I don't know what it's called, but it's designed for using a cable release with point-n-shoots.

Does the remote allow you to use bulb? If not, what's the point of even putting the feature on the camera if there is no way to use it.

Did you ask if the IR remote would do time release exposures? I do not know about Sigma but Canon’s IR remote that dose is not cheap.

ksmattfish said:
" You gotta be kidding me.
I can’t believe there isn’t a plug for a remote switch on the side of the camera.

drlynn- Thank you for the info. I think I'll try both-this and the velcro device.

ksmattfish- That velcro device sounds like a good idea. I'm definitely gonna check it out. I hope it fits my camera.

Jeff Canes- I e-mailed them again today asking if it's possible to lock the shutter open with the remote and how to use it in bulb. I don't know the exact capabilities of the remote, and don't have anyone around me to ask- I really appreciate your help :D . This is a subject that has been bugging me a lot. :? It's like the only function I haven't been able to try out 'cause I couldn't find a way to do so properly..

Just got an answer from Sigma. It said that the " wireless remote does not activate the bulb and therefore can not be used for this purpose". So I guess I'd better start shopping for that device that is velcroed on to the camera - and invest in a piece of black cloth. Maybe it's because I'm a newcomer to photography, :? but it seems kinda weird that they've put a bulb feature on the camera and can't use it with a remote or cable release ..

Jedi Knight said:
Maybe it's because I'm a newcomer to photography, :? but it seems kinda weird that they've put a bulb feature on the camera and can't use it with a remote or cable release ..

A classic example of modern engineering and marketing; it would have been nice if they'd consulted an actual photographer on the design. It's not "weird" it's just plain stupid. Their marketing wizards told them that "no one uses bulb anyway", and they saved 25 cents per camera leaving the cable release socket out of the shutter button.

ksmattfish said:
a device that will velcro around your camera over the shutter release, and has a cable release thread in the button. I don't know what it's called, but it's designed for using a cable release with point-n-shoots.

B&H has one of those velcro things, this is the like to it
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/con...?O=productlist&A=details&Q=&sku=109447&is=REG
109447.jpg

Wow, when i was shopping for a cam i checked out the Sigma, its cheap, and i heard it was decent, but i am very glad i didn't buy that, i use my bulb all the time, and 3 sec exposure is not even a tease for night photography. Glad i bought a Canon.

Most reactions

Back