The Base Of The Falls

funwitha7d

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
After a little rain this weekend the Whangarei fall was looking good, unfortunately no ND filters for my Fuji so aimed away from the whole falls and concentrated on the base.
DSCF4715 base of the falls rs.jpg

DSCF4716 base of the falls rs.jpg

As a general rule, water is not blue like it is here. You'll often see reflected highlights of blue on the water when there is an intensely blue sky but the blue we're seeing here is a color balance issue. You have an overall blue color cast to everything in the frame: water, rocks and moss.

Would still be nice to see a shot of the entire falls as this would give us a feeling for its size. I also agree with what BD has to say.

WesternGuy

Would still be nice to see a shot of the entire falls as this would give us a feeling for its size. I also agree with what BD has to say.

As a general rule, water is not blue like it is here. You'll often see reflected highlights of blue on the water when there is an intensely blue sky but the blue we're seeing here is a color balance issue. You have an overall blue color cast to everything in the frame: water, rocks and moss.

Thanks for your comments, I did not notice the blue but can now see its in my processing, not sure exactly what I did but will try to avoid this in the future.

Last edited:
Here are the whole falls, they were generating a lot of wind and spray so foliage was moving and mist/spray was everywhere.

DSCF4705 the falls rs.jpg

fun, thanks for the overall picture. How high is this one - approximately?

WesternGuy

just a smidge under 30m, would like to come down to the base after heavy rain but would prob need a WP housing and a rain coat

Wow, there is a hint of mist surrounding it, very mystical indeed!

Wow, there is a hint of mist surrounding it, very mystical indeed!

Thanks, it was a great day so a lot of people walking by, tourists and locals and it was quite mystical.

I like the last one you posted the best! :)

I like the last one too. I think the pic has potentional but more pics of the overall trying the best angle wouldve been good and also to me the water is a bit too soft in these pics. Especially in contrast with the rest. You might want to work on postprocessing them differently also. They could be processed much better.

I like the last one too. I think the pic has potentional but more pics of the overall trying the best angle wouldve been good and also to me the water is a bit too soft in these pics. Especially in contrast with the rest. You might want to work on postprocessing them differently also. They could be processed much better.
thanks for the feedback, its a case of I don't know what I don't know and that is not much in terms of post processing, so trial and error, have taken a few more but really need to get my timing right for better light, onward and upward!

Most reactions

New Topics

Back