The basics

Discussion in 'Beyond the Basics' started by brandonvoges, Sep 30, 2003.

1. brandonvoges

brandonvoges TPF Noob!

Hello all, my first post. oooooohhh...scary. ; )

I'm orginally a designer and photo retoucher, now interesting in persuing a career in photography. Somehow, someway, I never took a single photography class in my short run of college (genius of me). I own about 7 cameras and hack my way through everything, but have a great time doing it. My question is this:

Can anyone recommend a book, that is about the mechanics and usage of a manual camera? (I'm having a hard time finding books that don't spend a ton of time on "framing" and "composition" type subjects). I guess I'm looking for some easy read, more technical information about Fstops, aperature, speeds, etc. Considering i have no idea what I'm doing. ; )

Thanks a ton in advance for taking the time to help a rookie.

Brandon

2. voodoocat

voodoocat ))<>(( Supporting Member

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos NOT OK to edit
    How about Ansel Adams The Camera and The Negative. There should be plenty of copies at your local library.

3. ksmattfish

ksmattfish Now 100% DC - not as cool as I once was, but still

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos NOT OK to edit
    I like "Black and White Photography: A Basic Manual" by Henry Horenstein. It covers the BW darkroom, but all the camera info is good for color too. He also has a color photography book.

4. HedFire

HedFire TPF Noob!

i second this. we use it in my photography class and it is a great book for beginners