The Beginner!

Discussion in 'Photography Beginners' Forum' started by mrredline05, Dec 17, 2009.

1. mrredline05

mrredline05 TPF Noob!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos OK to edit
    Well i just bought my first SLR camera, A Sony Alpha A300. Also just picked up a Tamron 70-300mm f/4-5.6 Di LD Macro AF lens a few days ago. So far im in love with the camera and lens. Nothing bad to say about it, stilll learning tho. I take alot of car pictures, and just weird things around the house. Just looking for some pointers to start with. Oh i do have one question. What is a good low light/night lens? Something thats bank friendly.

Any advice is welcome.

2. wtdeane

wtdeane TPF Noob!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos NOT OK to edit
    Hello there!

Welcome to the club.

Lens advise is hard because you have to take a few considerations into play and it usually means that your bank account WILL suffer. So think long-term and save for a good lens, because if you don't, you'll just end-up replacing it with a good one later when you realize the mistake. :)

I would suggest a good low-light prime. Either a 50mm or 35mm running f2 or lower. Relying on a zoom will not hone your skills as a photographer.

Remember the 1.5 factor on focal length, so if you want to do indoors of close subjects, you'll want the 35mm. You can get some great used minolta glass on eBay or on some of the Boards like dyxum.com that will not cost an arm and a leg, if you can handle buying used.

The more you want to take low-light mean you'll need fast glass. f2, f1.7, f1.4, that kind of range. The faster you get, the more it will cost though.

I hope that helps.

Cheers!