The best photo editing software

Definately Photoshop. It is expensive but I does anything you will every want to do for anything. Awesome Awesome program.
^ very true. I lucked out and found out that someone I know works for Adobe. Employee discount is huge ;)

Although for the most part, I think most of the stuff I do (sharpen, camera raw, layer modes) can be done with Elements? Not sure. I actually bought Master CS4 more for After Effects work. (Photoshop was a plus though!)

Gimp shouldn't be looked down upon though. It is VERY POWERFUL. You just gotta spend time with the help manual :D But that's what you get for free software. The downside, is as mentioned, most online tutorials are based on Photoshop. IMHO Gimp will probably work with 90% of the tutorials, just gotta find the GIMP equivalents for certain functions / menus.

Good luck :)

I got CS5 Extended + Light Room 3 for $240, best combo IMO. I used GIMP for a long time though and did a lot with it.

I get to be the odd one out.... PaintShop Pro X3. Great program.

As mentioned image editing classes will likely be designed around Photoshop CS4 or 5.

With a valid student ID (enrolled full- or part-time and have a valid student ID), at a qualifying school (an accredited primary or secondary school, university, or college) you will be eligible to get an 80% discount on Adobe Photoshop CS5 - Extended, even if you are not taking any image editing or photography classes. (the 80% discount makes the student price $199. The full retail price is $999.)

You would be buying a Student Edition which is exactly the same as the full priced retail version, except it includes a use license that only allows you to install it on one computer. The regular version's use license allows installing it on 2 computers.

https://store1.adobe.com/cfusion/st...toshopExtendedSTE&view=ols_prod&store=OLS-EDU

Awesome deal, thanks for the tip. I actually qualify for that saving:) Thanks.

I'm even odder, I use PhotoPlus X3. It's an OK program but it has limitations.

Since I have a son in college and one in high school I will be getting one of them the Adobe Photoshop & possibly Lightroom student versions once we get a new computer which won't be a for a while.

I get to be the odd one out.... PaintShop Pro X3. Great program.

Photoshop CS5 is great, but for speed, I still like PaintShop Pro X3 with Nik plug-ings.

skieur

it depends if you are new school or old school

new school - photoshop and lightroom

old school - we didnt have computers back in my day, a photographer uses a camera to take pictures not a computer - quote from a famous photographer in which i would like to keep his name confidential.

old school - we didnt have computers back in my day, a photographer uses a camera to take pictures not a computer - quote from a famous photographer in which i would like to keep his name confidential.

Are you aware that there were darkrooms back then? Darkrooms are the original version of Photoshop...;)

I personally like Paint Shop Pro. Ive got the newest version... and ive been using it since PSP 7. Love it.

I have Photoshop CS2 and have used some in the past, and i just couldnt get into it...Ill probably take a wack at CS5 since im a student I can get it at a pretty good deal...

Photoshop seems to be the 'in thing' though.

Theres always Picasa and Gimp.

what the hell is that question

cs5 + lightroom 3!

get the lynda.com training for CS5 new features and your jaw is going to drop.

Are you aware that there were darkrooms back then? Darkrooms are the original version of Photoshop...;)

yes i am aware. i did not use this quote a very famous photographer did.

yes i am aware. i did not use this quote a very famous photographer did.

Lol, if he's famous, why would you keep his name confidential. I don't really care, just sayin...

Hi guys, I am a beginner photographer, but would like to take some courses to improve both my photography and to learn photo editing skills. What would be the best photo editing software for me to learn to use?
Thanks!

I am a newbie too and I am using Lightroom, Element and CS3.

If you want to develop your skills on editing and have challenge in making your photos look good you go for CS3 or CS5 (adobe is really good). Lightroom and Elements editors are more easy to use and its like spoon-feeding way of editing ;)

Most reactions

New Topics

Back