The best photography books?

sheyene29

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Just wondering if anyone has any suggestions for really good photography books for beginners?

I want good ones for lighting, composition.....well anything and everything you can suggest! Which were the most informative ones you read?

I asked this question awhile ago, got some great answers.

If you want to learn about lighting the book:
Light, science, and Magic is an amazing book, i read it recently and i have to say it is probably the best photo book i've read so far (out of 3 :\)

Bryan Petersons book Beyond portraiture is pretty great too. It seemed kind of basic, but it's always good to brush up on them, besides some parts were actually a bit complicated.

Those are my top two..But it isn't much..I've only read there photo books.

I asked this question awhile ago, got some great answers.

If you want to learn about lighting the book:
Light, science, and Magic is an amazing book, i read it recently and i have to say it is probably the best photo book i've read so far (out of 3 :\)

Bryan Petersons book Beyond portraiture is pretty great too. It seemed kind of basic, but it's always good to brush up on them, besides some parts were actually a bit complicated.

Those are my top two..But it isn't much..I've only read there photo books.

Thanks Papa!:D

Guess it depends on what kind of photography you're into. I got The Magic of Digital Nature Photography by Rob Sheppard and loved it(it has quite a lot of info & pictures in it), but if nature pics aren't really your thing then...

The Digital Photography Book by Scott Kelby is good. Anything by Scott Kelby about photography is good, actually. if you like his sense of humour, that is. :p

I've really liked The New Manual of Photography by John Hedgecoe. He explains aperture, shutter speed, white balance and more very well. He even has several pages on specific types of lighting such as pre-dawn light, noon light, sunset, etc, as well as other lighting conditions.

Maybe all photography books do this (I'm new) but what I really liked was his examples. Every page has several small photos with captions and most of all, the settings he used to take the shot. I learned a lot simply looking at all the different samples and the settings which were used.

As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
+1
Get "Understanding Exposure" It is a must for a beginning photographer in my opinion...
very good book and have some assignments to practice as well.

Another vote for "Understanding Exposure". I check it out constantly from the library. I probably should break down and buy it. Lol.

Most reactions

Back