The BIG LIE.

no trials/laywers needed for mob hangings; youre right.

and people wonder why others don't want to freely give up their guns to the mob...

Back on topic, I've not had issues with most of mine, though I don't like them! Perhaps the 240V ones are better, and the duff ones down rated for the American market :)

In the bathroom & outside the life has proved to be shorter, possibly as they are turned on & off more often though moisture could also be the cause.

The LED lights I have are much better, but until recently haven't been available in the right fittings for my bathroom & outside light fittings.

I suspect in future I'll only get LED bulbs except for special purposes. LEDs wouldn't be suitable for the spectrometers at work!

and people wonder why others don't want to freely give up their guns to the mob...
I missed that one, too.

Oh, well, I meant it as a joke.

Mostly.

Back on topic, I've not had issues with most of mine, though I don't like them! Perhaps the 240V ones are better, and the duff ones down rated for the American market :)

In the bathroom & outside the life has proved to be shorter, possibly as they are turned on & off more often though moisture could also be the cause.

The LED lights I have are much better, but until recently haven't been available in the right fittings for my bathroom & outside light fittings.

I suspect in future I'll only get LED bulbs except for special purposes. LEDs wouldn't be suitable for the spectrometers at work!

Outside????, here in Canada they would only come on in the summer. Hell, I have one in the basement that will not light unless the temperature is above 15C & then takes forever to get to full brightness.

Temperatures here are a little more bearable. They don't always reach full brightness, but certainly give enough to get back into the warm on the colder nights.
We do have some motion sensitive solar powered LED lights that only work on summer nights. Probably due both to less sunlight to charge them & worse battery performance due to the cooler temperatures.

As someone concerned about the natural resources of this Nation and the indiscriminate waste of those resources many of us simply take for granted; "There was one problem: The government never banned incandescents. The new law was enacted to simply phase out inefficient lightbulbs in, as Congress stated, "a technology-neutral way." The new law doesn't ban incandescent lightbulbs, nor does it demand the use of CFLs or any other kind of bulb. It simply sets forth energy efficiency targets that go into effect in two phases: first in 2012, and again in 2020." (What You Need to Know About the Lightbulb Law

In my job I go into folk's homes while they are away for extended time periods (I'm a pet sitter before you go getting any ideas in your head). I am constantly amazed at the number of lights - mostly incandescent - left on for hours while no one will need them. Several of my clients light up their house like it was a 7-11 when no one is home and won't be for hours. I like a light or two to be left on if my first visit is a PM visit. But one or two would be fine and I can find the rest once I'm in the house. Lights left on timers are good burglar deterrents (and convenient for us pet sitters too) but leaving a house full of 60 watt lamps on for eight hours is less than common sense IMO. Most of my clients don't use timers and very few have dimmers to control the output of the lamp when in use. You might as well fire up the gasoline powered lawn mower and let it run while you're away.

Several years back on a trip to Big Bend National Park I mentioned to a Ranger how clear the view was for what seemed to be miles and miles. She informed me the view was quite poor that day at about nine miles visibility. She further informed me of a (then) new coal burning power plant which had opened in Northern Mexico. Since the power plant opened and began emitting pollutants into the atmosphere and subsequently being carried by the winds across Southern Texas, the average visibility had gone to about ten miles from a previous 55-60 miles - average!

Even as a casual photographer the difference of forty or more miles of clear, non-polluted visibility was shocking to me. Here in Dallas, I live about two miles out of downtown and there are many days when I get on the road and can barely see an outline of the buildings just a short distance from me. I think about that every time I go into a house with a dozen or more lights going full blast every day, all day when no one is home. Several states, Texas included, are considering an added fee imposed on those of us who have installed solar panels on our house. The fee goes mainly to the power companies "just 'cause". Several years ago the Texas billionare, T. Boone Pickens - who made his money in energy - could not convince the US Congress to provide some assistance in his plan to link West Texas wind energy to the overall US power grid to supply renewable energy to most of the nation. As an aside, I remember when $48 a barrel oil meant we would be paying about $1.35 or less for a gallon of gasoline. Ask why we now are paying about seventy to eighty cents more per gallon and you'll hear the crickets begin to chirp.

I am more than a bit confused when I see people complaining about their freedoms being taken away because they can't find a 100 watt incandescent lamp in the local big box home improvement store. Congress isn't making the decision not to stock those lamps, the big box store is. The oversized, international manufacturer is making the decision not to supply the lamps to the big box store. Meanwhile, people are having their heads cut off while we complain about the loss of "freedom" to waste natural resources. Women are being stoned and young girls are being shot while we are PO'd about a light bulb.

Technology moves forward. If you are upset about the lifespan of being an early adapter, keep your receipts and go get your money back or an exchange. Clearly, the technology of lamps has improved tremendously over the last few years. I can buy a 60 watt equivalent, dimmable LED lamp for $8 now. They will last for a decade or more while saving energy in the process. If you want to get all OCD about marking your lamps, maybe you should take up another hobby.

IMO the "Big Lie" is that this is what gets people upset at "government overreach" while the big box stores are paying poverty level wages without benefits and keeping hours to part time only and the international manufacturers are shipping jobs to anywhere they can get the stuff made more cheaply today than yesterday. All the while, your tax dollars are being used to subsidize this process through welfare programs which allow minimum wage workers to eat and have child health care. Tax abatements are handed out like campaign bumper stickers to big boxes when they build another location which means more mom and pop stores will go under as they build on what was once farm land and further destroy the environment we all grew up thinking was our's to enjoy and pass on to our children.

In case you don't remember, the bill passed in the US and was signed into law by a President named Bush; Ann Coulter - First Fascist President - Eric Bolling Mediaite

Last edited:
Ron - did you ever find a contact for the Blue Planet bulbs? I did a quick search and Canadian Tire has an exchange warranty that model for 5 years - you may want to check with whatever store you bought them at. If you don't want a possible exchange, they may be able to get you a contact at Blue Planet (I couldn't find one online).

Blue Planet 9W G25 CFL Bulbs 3-pk Canadian Tire

I am more than a bit confused when I see people complaining about their freedoms being taken away because they can't find a 100 watt incandescent lamp in the local big box home improvement store. Congress isn't making the decision not to stock those lamps, the big box store is.
Here's a quote from a CNN article:

"Seventy-five- and 100-watt bulbs were already banned this year. The ban on production of 40 and 60-watt bulbs -- the most popular in the country -- kicks in as 2014 begins."

Read it here: Obit RIP light bulb - CNN.com

I selectively bolded the word "banned" so you'll be sure to notice it.

Please note: This story was not written by that extreme right-wing crazy network FAUX NEWS, but by your daily trusted, unimpeachable source; CNN (Clinton News Network).

You say "banned" your way, and I'll say BANNED my way.

Here's another link: (CNN again) Light bulb ban set to take effect - Dec. 13 2013

It seems Blue Planet bulbs are exclusive to Canadian Tire stores. I have a box, not the required receipt but I suppose it is worth taking it into the store & see what they have to say about the poor performance.

Here in Canada, incandescent bulbs were banned by the federal government effective Jan. 1, 2014.

P3300001-Edit.jpg

so timely. just had a CFL burn out over the weekend.

I bought it around 2 years ago when we moved into the house. I'm going to check with the manufacturer on any life-time gurantees. IIRC that bulb was like $10 alone (BR40 style) should of lasted around 10 years.

and now i have to go out of my way to recycle it so i don't pollute the earth with mercury.

Most reactions

Back