The Black Angel - My first step to the Darkside...

Discussion in 'Dark Side Gallery' started by Andie, Oct 30, 2006.

1. Andie

Andie TPF Noob!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The Story of The Black Angel at Oakland CemeteryAsk anyone in Iowa City about the Black Angel, and you will hear a different spooky story from each one, mostly revolving around touching or defacing the statue and subsequently suffering injury or death.
    The Black Angel is an imposing 8.5 foot statue commissioned by Teresa Feldevert for the Feldevert family. There are three sets of remains under the statue, including Eddie Dolezeal, Teresa's son, Nicholas Feldevert, Theresa's husband, and Teresa herself. The statue itself is quite odd for a burial monument, depicting an angel looking down with a somber expression and cold, odd-looking eyes with somewhat drooping eyelids that many people find quite unnerving. Most angels in cemeteries are looking upward with wings stretched up towards the heavens as if to help the dead find their way, but the Black Angel looks downward with the wings out, but relatively downwardly pointed. The blackish color of the statue, however, is the feature that attracts the most attention. It originally had a bronze finish that has tarnished with age and has resisted every attempt at polishing or cleaning it. Legend has it that it turns a shade darker every year at Halloween as a reminder of the people it has killed.

2. Arch

Arch Damn You! Staff Member Supporting Member

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos NOT OK to edit
    cool.... im diggin the black angel.... sounds like my kinda chick ;) .... love the shape of her wings... thanks for sharing. :thumbup:

3. Chiller

Chiller Mental case

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos NOT OK to edit
    Wow...what a cool lookin monument. Nicely done with these.