The Bucket

Discussion in 'Critique Forum Archives' started by LaFoto, Sep 24, 2005.

1. LaFoto

LaFoto Just Corinna in real life Staff Member Supporting Member

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos NOT OK to edit
    This photo has already appeared in the General Gallery, along with a couple of others that I called "At the Supermarket", for I took this one (among others) in the back yard of a large super-market in the neighbouring town.

As to the technical data, I can give you little to nothing, I'm afraid, 1/60 sec at f4,5. It was a colour photo originally, which I converted into black and white and "tweaked" until I liked it.

Actually, I post it into Critique to see what the response to this photo will be, mostly so by Eydryan.

The Bucket
    [​IMG]

(And yes, I know that this black border is EXTREMELY amateurish, I did it in Paint...)

2. Nikon Fan

Nikon Fan TPF Noob!

I love the lines and contrast in this, but it seems to lack a focal point IMO...my eye is torn between the bucket, garbage can, and everything in the background...I think if it had a more dominant area that may improve it a bit more...

3. LaFoto

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Thanks, Amanda.
    Now your reply makes me genuinely wonder what is the difference between "this photo lets your eyes wander" and "my eye is torn between...".
    No irony in my question.
    I'm really really only asking.

• Like Like x 1
  4. eydryan

eydryan TPF Noob!

hehe, nice... let us see how we rip and tear this one... :D

the first distracting thing is that there is light at the bottom but only in very few places, i'd expect to see either complete neutral gray or more light and shadows. and that light emphasizes (lapsus, is that the way it's written?) the shadow of the garbage can which "tears my eye". my preconception tells me to look in the middle. umm...stuck here.

well the one thing which doesn't really fit in this picture is the bucket. it contrasts too much from the metallic structures, and from their rectangular geometric shapes also from their size with really no visual indication of this (no difference in colour, no colour contrast) and that confuses you.what you could do is crop radically and just let the whatchamacallit from which you hold the bucket and that looks interestin, just letting you suspect what that round thing is. and generally the pavement is distracting, a lot of shapes with no meaning, shadow/light, wow painfull :D

well ishould rather stop before i start to critique pixel 0,0 and the clarity of the writing :lol: probably not my best critique yet but, well... that's it :D

oh and what i really really don't like is that the right black border is thinner (is that because of the forum?). but i like the paint border, it really protects you image from this evil forum white :D

5. LaFoto

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Well, I do HATE that little aspect, too. But that can be corrected.
    If it helps any, I can post the photo without a border.

I wonder how the photo of The Bucket could work if I cropped most of it plus its shadow off?
    Cannot bucket and shadow be the focal point, and can't that point be in the lefthand bottom corner?
    Is it bad in a photo if there are many things to look at?

(I really mean my questions!)

6. eydryan

eydryan TPF Noob!

i doubt it can look better on this background without the border, it'll probably lose contrast.

about the cropping that's kinda what i said or wanted to say :D and you can visualise you cropping (TIP) by just cropping with your browser window. just move the scroll so that the picture is cut by the window and you can easily visualise how it looks cropped from the top or bottom. lateral cant be done here unfortunatelly :D

left hand bottom corner is in the eye's view (yeah i know) back and close while right up is far and away. it is not very comfortable looking at something right under your eye is it? well that's kinda the thing with this focal point. it is too close for comfort. it is supposed to be somewhere inside the safe image area (that's a rectangle i found in video editing software and it is about three quarters of an image minimum. i mean if you made a rectangle the size of your image and resized it to 75% you would get an outline showing you the safe image rectangle. anything outside that may not attract attention. but as always it's just a guideline.

it is not that bad in a photo to have many objects as long as they complement each other. look at the garbage cans, they are all kinda the same shape and size and all metal etc. otherwise, if they are not the same the picture has to be thought in detail, there must be nothing in your picture that you did'nt expressly want to be there. so it is not worse but harder to make a picture with more things in it. but remember, those things must not compete for the viewer's attention! the best way is for them to lead one to the other, like a road leading to a door which has on it a board with an arrow leading to a window and so on... :D that would be excellence in chaining elements in a frame...:D

7. LaFoto

Photos NOT OK to edit
    I do that often... and did so with this picture when I read your first critique.
    Does not convince me. The shadow goes away, too.

I find that shadow important.

Anyone else, maybe?

8. eydryan

eydryan TPF Noob!

well that's my pov...:D

anybody feel free to agree or not? :D

9. pursuer

pursuer TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    I really hope you don't mind, but I thought it would be easier to show you this then to try and explain it, citiques arn't my thing :)

I agree with you about the shadow, I think it is important. The row of bins seems to lead the eye to the bucket now, mine anyway.

[​IMG]

10. eydryan

eydryan TPF Noob!

well although this one has major problems (like the text) it does look more natural, the shadows at least. ask me why and i can't tell you. but now the shadows fall naturally and the composition also looks better. strange... and the contrast boost is welcome.

11. pursuer

pursuer TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Whoops! I didn't notice the text, that just won't do will it, lol. I didn't touch the levels at all just horizontally fliped it and croped a little.

12. LaFoto

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Well, thanks for your idea, pursuer.
    You will not be surprised to hear that to me, who I know the entire context of this photo, it now looks all WRONG...

And I don't read texts from right to left, why would I "read" this photo better like that and not from left to right, just how I would read texts?

Somehow I feel that with only three persons commenting on this photo, I still haven't got all the answers to the questions that I have, mostly so that about the distinction of "this photo lets your eyes wander" and "my eye is torn between...".