The "C" in "Acquire"

But my language has some nice words on offer, too. Just found out that this was "Word of the Year 1999" (didn't know it back then, I'm afraid):

Rindfleischetikettierungsüberwachungsaufgabenübertragungsgesetz
(source: http://german.about.com/library/blwort_long.htm)
"(das, 63 letters) "beef labeling regulation & delegation of supervision law"
This was a 1999
German Word of the Year, and it also won a special award as the longest German word for that year. It refers to a "law for regulating the labeling of beef" - all in one word, which is why it is so long. German also likes abbreviations, and this word has one: ReÜAÜG."

Ha, compound words, you gotta love em.

Rindfleisch etikettierung überwachung aufgaben übertragung gesetz - so it's really just 6 (I think) words put together - and I believe that this is only possible when forming a noun (Lafoto?)

Its a bit like if we were to write in english like this.

beefslabelingsregulationsdelegationssupervisionslaw.

Great fun ;)

colour colour colour colour colour

:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

OK, when over in the States, I first saw the "lazy" spelling of "night" as "nite" there (and thought something in the way of :roll: ), but then our commercials people took that spelling and made "nait" from it for the "WICK MediNait" cough medicine. That one's about THE WORST! (Our commercials people are so crazy about using - and butchering! - the English language, some creations they come up with make you want to scream!)

But my language has some nice words on offer, too. Just found out that this was "Word of the Year 1999" (didn't know it back then, I'm afraid):

Rindfleischetikettierungsüberwachungsaufgabenübertragungsgesetz

I would get tired before I finished typing that word out.

Seriously.

Re: Nite

. . . which isn't the American way, it's the lazy way. (and lazy does NOT = American, thank you)

It's modern usage is definitely American origin, but it's not exactly 'new' either:

Courtesy of the OED. 1928 in Variety magazine:

1928 Variety 13 Jan. 55/2 It's..said that the very same Mickeyfinning has been behind some of the nite club liquor trouble, with the victims so sore they didn't care what their revenge might bring.

And in regional and non-standard speech, as far back as 1616 in Haughton's English-men for My Money:

a1605 W. HAUGHTON English-men for my Money (1616) sig. E3, Oh de braue de galliarde deuise: me sal come by de nite.

... which is distinctly not American by definition. :)

Most reactions

Back