The Calm

M

MDowdey

Recent trip to the mountains, found this beautiful lake, started snapping. cant remember for the life of me what the specs were as it was a different camera. but if i had to guess :

F8
1/250

The feeling I was trying to achieve here was the calming effect i got from standing where i was standing and seeing no one in the water.

what could i have done differently, what did you like? what didnt you like?

mountain1.jpg

taken with a Canon G6

matt

Where is this, Matt? It looks beautiful there. Was this taken in the fall? I'm noticing the leaf colors, it seems very fall-like - you can even see the reflections in the water! :heart:

I'd like to see a little more contrast here, and maybe crop off the sky just a tad.

I definitely like the empty lake and empty lifeguard's chair. :thumbup:

thanks terri, this was taken near hendersonville/batcave/chimneyrock North carolina one day last fall. I had a hell of a time trying to not blow the sky because light was harsh all day.

ill try the crop and some contrast, sounds like it could work!

terri said:
"The polarizing filter is your friend!"
sexywink.gif

ive never owned a filter in my life. how bout them apples? no wonder my stuff turns out ****e. its ok, im gonna get one. eventually.

Either that or a ND filter would have helped. Looks like the area you are in is shaded but the top in direct light?

Geronimo said:
Either that or a ND filter would have helped. Looks like the area you are in is shaded but the top in direct light?

hell yes dude! thats exactly what it was. i became committed to taking the pictures once i was there because of the long drive, but the weather was terrible and i didnt stay until late light like i wanted due to rain, so poop.

im going back soon, probably in two months or so.

thanks for the suggestions everyone!

very peaceful, the lighting is interesting, and i dont think that the lack of a filter killed the image :D (i also have no filters, except a lame skylight filter that came with a lens and basically does nothing). What I would suggest if you go back is A. get a polarizer if you can. duh. B. get closer to the water. that foreground isnt really the prettiest to look at and it detracts the eye from the peacefulness of the water. i would suggest getting near the edge of the water and making that the basis of the image, while giving that little gazebo thing a little more emphasis by putting it in a key spot in the frame (like the right hand corner). there are maaany possiblities with this location, and that's just one of the ideas, this one you've done is another. very nice scene, MD. i like the colors and contrast of the trees in the mountain and that little stone part jutting out.

MDowdey said:
hell yes dude! thats exactly what it was. i became committed to taking the pictures once i was there because of the long drive, but the weather was terrible and i didnt stay until late light like i wanted due to rain, so poop.

im going back soon, probably in two months or so.

thanks for the suggestions everyone!

It is a bugger aint it? What did you shoot this with, the 10D in RAW by chance? If so look at your RAW workflow software or download RAW Shooter esst. . If you play with the shadow contrast and decrease the highlight contrast you might get what you are looking for. There is just a big range in the light but it should help you get closer to what you saw.

Matt Nice location and Imo composition is good

Try a digital polarizer filter/action. I know Nik Efex 2 has this filter. Maybe you can acquire a copy. I have a copy of Efex 1 but it does not have polarizer filter.

Nice work MDowdey. Maybe a nuetral density filter might have worked? I have been there a couple of times and have always enjoyed shooting at that location, very beautiful, you did a fine job of portraying that. Great work

hey, thanks guys!!!!! im definately going to pick up some filters soon!

Most reactions

New Topics

Back